Got an interview

J

Have got an interview at the uni where I do my part-time PhD (different faculty).
Pros - it's where I am doing my PhD
It's nearer home (14 miles vs 44)
It's a higher grade (8 vs 7 where I am)
It's part tiem (so more time for PhD)

Cons - it's part time (so less money)
It's in a different faculty
It's not a subject specific job (it's a combined honours tutor)

I really want to get a job in the PhD uni and am tempted if I am offered it to take it as it will get me a foot in the door but it will mean a nearly 50% paycut. I might be able to make some of that up by doing sessional work as a PhD student and I'll save on travelling costs.

AHHHHH

ooh congratulations! I have no idea what's best, although if it allows you more time to the do PhD - therefore getting teh PhD done sooner, it may be better in the long run as it allows you to be qualified and then go for better full-time jobs sooner?

J

Thanks sneaks - I have already been a lecturer for 5 years (and have completed my PGCE in HE & Highe Education Academy) - it's really about getting to the uni nearer home which is better for my subject. I've had interviews with them in the subject area but have been beaten by people with no teaching experience but wih more research output so going p-t for a while would help me to close that gap. But I am the main earner in our house (my husband is retired) and we have two children so there would have to be major cuts to cope.

D

That's a tough choice. Just wondering so are your PhD and your current lecturer post in different subjects - how closely related are they and is it possible that you can still move into your PhD uni after finishing your thesis?

I would go with gut feeling though if the pay cut is a big factor this is worth considering. Sorry that's not really much help.

Just wanted to say good luck with decision and hope it works out. Why do decisions have to be so tough when jobs come along?