Graduate teaching assistant pay: how does it work?

W

Hi everyone, I'm due to start work as a graduate teaching assistant when I begin my PhD around mid-September and I can't wait, but I'm a little confused about how the wage I get works. I get in the region of 12.5 K a year but is this paid monthly or per term or anything different? I'm trying to sort how I'll manage my finances and I'd really appreciate it if anyone at all can shed any light on this. I could ask the administrative department at my uni but I don't want to look more of a Dufus than I already am!
Thanks everyone.

S

hi,
i suppose it's different depending on your uni and the form of your contract. i will also be a GTA and will get paid monthly, but by the hour.
if you want to make sure, the place to ask is your department's secretary/admin person. they will know and they are used to such questions. they are usually very approachable.

P

Yes best to check - everywhere is different. But a note of caution, if you get an hourly rate check what the situation is with marking - many people don't get paid for this and it can take eons of your time.

W

Thank your for your help, Shani and Pea. I'll give them a call today and find out the situation. If it differs at different places there's no way of knowing until I ring up.