Grant without course fees

K

======= Date Modified 22 57 2009 22:57:47 =======
I am new on the forum, I dont know how you run things aronnd here so forgive me if I post or ask incorrectly
I got a studentship that covers research and living costs but does not cater for my course fees. I am an overseas student and that makes the fees mind boggling (over 10k) which I cant obviously afford. Can someone advise me on how to get more funding because I dont want to let go of the opportunity. My stipend is not enough otherwise I would have gladly used it.

S

Unfortunately this is fairly common - International studentships often come with this caveat (living costs but not fees). Others may know of opportunities that I don't, however it is extremely unlikely that you will find additional support, although it would be beneficial to know what discipline you are in

K

I am in science,

S

I don't mean to appear rude, but 'science' is an extremely broad category that would cover a range of funding possibilities - you need to be much more specific than you have been so far. If you are that desperate for help you should be able to provide more information than 'science' - it would also help to know where you are from (your own govt may have a scheme). You should also approach the university that has offered you a place and ask if they have any institutional funding available (again for Overseas students this is rare but possible)

K

sorry I am in medical sciences especially tropical infectious diseases. I dont know if my government has a scheme. I have spoken to the university and apparently
they have closed most of their scholarships applications for september 09 academic year.

M

Try looking at the British Council website, that always seems to be the best source for funding opportunities for overseas students.