guys and gals

J

======= Date Modified 10 39 2009 17:39:08 =======
I was pondering life and all that, and a thought occured to me. Many of the people who post on this site, while I can't be certain, I imagine are female. I was just wondering if there are more guys or ladies doing their PhDs... who use this site of course.

A poll is in order...

T

Interesting bias. There are some people on here who's gender I'm genuinely not sure about, although it's fascinating how I find myself making assumptions based on their posts.

E

Quote From teek:

Interesting bias. There are some people on here who's gender I'm genuinely not sure about, although it's fascinating how I find myself making assumptions based on their posts.

very interesting! This goes very in-line with my research interests involving identity and on-line communities/creation of on-line identities. Hmmm?!! I love the idea that many of us will be (probably) making complete assumptions about each other's gender by what we write/how we respond to each other. There's a research topic right there ;)

Good poll Jinkim :)

J

I think its facisnating how we give others an identity by reading their posts.

I also find it quite interesting that so far there are more females at least responding to the poll. I think this could be tied into health psych. If I remember correctly (it's been a while since I finished my psych undergrad) women use social support more often as a coping mechanism for stress. Perhaps that explains why there appears to be more women on the forum (assuming my poll results are representative of all members on the forum). Maybe women post on forums like this more because they find the support comforting and a way of dealing with stress, whereas men go it alone??

Any psych phders want to comment??

J

wow... although i expected it, it seems like we do have more females on here...:p

Quote From jinkim65:

I also find it quite interesting that so far there are more females at least responding to the poll. I think this could be tied into health psych. If I remember correctly (it's been a while since I finished my psych undergrad) women use social support more often as a coping mechanism for stress. Perhaps that explains why there appears to be more women on the forum (assuming my poll results are representative of all members on the forum). Maybe women post on forums like this more because they find the support comforting and a way of dealing with stress, whereas men go it alone??

Well in terms of careers, women would more likely need to build networks for support - and often would feel uncomfortable doing that in their place of work, or feel unable to because of the lack of women in their workplace. As men dominate the workplace, at least in terms of numbers, then they are less likely to need to go elsewhere for psychosocial support.

However, with any good theory, I can find you about 3 gazillion journals that would agree and disagree with the above statement haha

W

Quote From jinkim65:

I'm not sure about that you know. I'm a man (of sorts) and I honestly find social support a great way of dealing with stress. It's pathetic in a way but I'll get in touch with a mate and just chat complete crap, as a way of dealing with stress. So much so that by the time the call has finished, anyone I've called has no idea what the conversation was about, how it started or how it ended - just completely inconsequential. They usually just remember keywords like in a journal article: XFactor, Tina Turner, John Humphries, Confirmatory Factor Analysis, Philip Schofield, Clinimetrics, Blue Peter.