Had a postdoc interview today

J

So sorry to hear that 404

S

404, I totally understand your eargerness to get it coz I'had been doing the same thing (refreshing emails, checking websites). I was informed I wasn't successful for the scholarship just yesterday, and actually I haven't recovered from the sullen hangover yet as everything used to bode very well.I think one bigger regret is that they normally don't give us any feedback so we can identify room for improvement. I was sent the bumbling nonsensical email notifications twice, " I regret that you are not offered the award"... and something like that. Sigh, I don't even know how I should improve in order to succeed?????

P

I am so sorry 404. You did well, be proud and file it into your experience file
(I know I am a fine one to talk but not getting my scholarship so recently makes me hurt for you)

R

At least you got close if they shortlisted you for an interview. Maybe next time.

R

I've done a few interviews in my lifetime. I found that where I've been successful have mostly been interviews where I feel I've got nothing to lose as I walk into the room. So I'm feeling very relaxed and I think that influences the direction of the interview to take on a more conversational atmosphere.

RogueAcademic, that's a good way of learning about yourself; can be very useful for future applications. I used to be able to get almost everything I applied for, but this is long before my 2nd academic life. I realise it is more competitive in academia and people you get to compete with are actually quite good at what they're doing.

sourapple, PinkNeuron, I think we understand eachother's feelings; I'm really sorry about your news too

Thank you all for great support. I will cheer up tomorrow and submit an application to another post that I've seen today

sourapple, have you asked for feedback? I think you are entitled to that.

S

No, they just said there were 140 applications for 4 awards and competition is very fierce. There was no interview involved for it, everything was based on an application form and two references. they always give bumbling replies, no actual feedback.