Harvard referencing and policy documents

L

Hi all,

I just wanted to pick your brains about this because I'm not totally sure what I should be doing! Is the correct Harvard format for policy documents this:

HM Goverment (2008) Adult Social Care Workforce strategy: Interim Statement [green/white paper]
Cabinet Office, 22 Whitehall, London SW1A 2WH

or this:

Department of Health (2008) Adult Social Care Workforce Strategy:Interim Statement [green/white paper] London: Stationery Office (Cm 009821)

Sorry about any issues with format, I've copied and pasted from word! The reference guidelines from the uni aren't clear about which one is correct and very unhelpfully include both in the guidelines!

A

======= Date Modified 11 Apr 2012 10:46:23 =======
I co-authored a Harvard referencing guide for my department which was later picked up by the library :-) We have it as per your second example but I'm not in the same jurisdiction as you so maybe your uni is different. tbh I find the Anglia Ruskin Harvard Ref guide comprehensive; it pretty much has everything you could ever want to know Harvard-wise! Have a look at page 18 and page 21 onwards of this guide.

http://libweb.anglia.ac.uk/referencing/files/Harvard_referencing_2011.pdf

edit: sorry, just looked at your examples again and while we do have per No. 2, it's not exactly the same - we finish with the city and where it was published

L

Thanks Ady, I'm struggling to find numbers for some of the documents but I'll keep looking!

S

I'm using US policy documents and I pretty much use your second version. In endnote I file them as "reports", which seems to work just fine.

L

Thank you, oh I hate this part of the job!