Have I chosen the wrong topic?

S

Hi there,

I am a chemistry PhD student currently about to enter attend my 3 month review and I am really beginning to wonder whether I have chosen the right project for me.

I was quite broad in my specifications when choosing my project I simply wanted to explore chemistry from a mainly synthetic viewpoint with a medicinal or clinical aim, I did not want to be doing research just for the sake of it I wanted a purpose and my project in micro RNA detection seemed perfect. However after 3 months I am starting to think that this project may be too focussed on electrochemical analysis and physical chemistry rather than the chemical synthesis that I thought.

I did a masters MCHEM course for my undergrad years and did a final project in organic chemical synthesis which I loved, this led me to my desire to complete a PhD in chemistry. However my supervisor at the time was unable to offer me a project. After some searching within the department my project seemed like it would be ideal also with a supervisor I knew well and who was always very approachable and fast to reply to messages.

However now I am 3 months in, and although I know this is extremely early in the project to be considering it a mistake, I am beginning to feel from the publications out there that this will be a project focussed almost entirely around electrochemistry and physical chemistry analysis which is not an area I feel comfortable in. I was just wondering if I should say something to my mentor or supervisor at my 3 month review (if I am able to) or just sit it out for a while to see how things go?

I should say that my supervisor is still very approachable and quick to reply to e-mails but i wouldnt want to worry him without asking around first.

Again I know this is early but I hope you will understand at this point the pressure is enough without feeling like you have made a mistake.

T

A PhD is a learning experience. You are a trainee: you are not supposed to be comfortable in the the area you are working in in the beginning. If you were, then you wouldn't need to be doing a PhD. Give a few more months and you will probably feel better. You may also be able to steer your topic into an area you are more interested in later down the line.

S

I hope so. Dont get me wrong I know I can do it and I know that its too early to be thinking of quitting or anything. I just feel I may have rushed my decision, I will try to keep it up thank youuu