having a dilemma!

A

A while ago i went for interview at a local college, just to get some teaching experience at HE level! I didnt get job but was put on supply list! I just had phone call asking if i would like to work for them thursdays and Fridays for the next ten weeks on one of their courses (lecturer left suddenly). Its full time hours those two days, and one day working wtih another lecturer and the other on my own taking classes! (not directly my field, but still lecturing in biology!)

Anyway, I accepted as I felt as it was my first offer I didnt want to turn it down and put them off me! (and my money runs out this month!).

Ok, so they want me to start next week if possible but would understand if couldn't til following, i'm meeting her tomorrow to go through curriculum and need to let her know then! I have a few applications in for post-docs also which i'm waiting to hear from (knowing they requested references), and one as an education officer for local science centre, which i'm also VERY interested in! I'm not sure when I will find out the latter but I know their initial interviews are NEXT thursday!

Basically I just don't know what to do! I'm sure it would be very cheeky to phone science centre and tell them i've been asked to cover a job for that day the interview is on and wondered if they had any idea about me....surely they want to see that knowing what day its on i am fully committed to that and nothing else! and also having said i'll do this lecturing post what if I get ANY job in next month or two, what do i do!

have so much on with trying to write up by dec/jan, finish off some lab stuff, now do this, best friend getting married in november, and also had some other odd commitments over next ten weeks - all seeming to be thursdays and fridays typically! mainly courses for teaching/learning and science communication which are all relevant to either science centre jobs or lecturing posts!

Any ideas on how to handle this? I just dont want to discuss with either potential employers in case i come off disinterested in either post, or at least not fully committed to them!?! and don't want to burn bridges with full time posts by taking on this part time in teh short term!!! (maybe it would help if i had proper idea of what i really wanted to do in life!!!)

Sorry if this is babbly, i'm streeeeessssssssssssseeeeeddddddd!!!!
better get on with writing as i've now got even less time to work!

think i'll get some chocolate first.....

Cheers

S

Lucky you to potentially have so many options! I reckon that if the science centre calls you in for an interview, and you can't duck out for it as you're teaching, then you arrange another time with them. They probably won't be thrilled, but should understand the commitments of a new job. And in regards to getting another job during the next 10 weeks, in my experience recruitment occurs really slowly. By the time you have an interview, then add another few weeks for the selection committee's recommendation to get signed off, then they'd probably expect that a new starter would need to give a month's notice - and I reckon the 10 weeks will have flown by. It might be quicker than this, I don't know, haven't yet gone for interviews in academia. If you do get offered a job soon, well, keep doing your Thurs and Fris and go full-time after the 10 weeks. I think new employers would understand a prior commitment to lecturing.

Anyway, good luck with it all! Things will work out - and this is a nice dilemma to have!

A

Hi Sue, thanks for reply! sorry if my post sounded like I was moaning about the opportunities, i do realise i'm quite lucky and I just really didn't know how to handle the situation and not let anyone down, or mess them around!

I went to college this morning and met my new boss! :) discussed my situation abit with her, letting her know that I have got applications in for full time positions but would make sure I gave her plenty of notice if I had to leave! She was very understanding about it all and still offered me the job so i've taken it!

very nerve racking as this will be my first proper teaching other than on one to one basis! but they've offered my loads of support and the whole team seems lovely and helpful so looking forward to the experience! I've just added significantly to my workload though so going to have to work longer into the nights and full weekends I think!

re other interview I have told them I can not start next week as I have prior commitments, and she was fine as obviously they havent given me much notice! so i am clear if i get an interview for science centre!

Right, i better get back to my intro, if i can get last bits finished over weekend then i'm still meeting my writing schedule as planned! hope you're managing to get work done on your next chapter inbetween work?

Maybe see you on nocturnal thread over teh weekend,

KT

S

Hi KT

Congratulations! That's fantastic - your academic career is well on the way!

I'm battling along. Got comments from my supervisor on some work, and essentially I need to rewrite everything and change focus. Am really worried that I'm not going to get this all done by Xmas. Think I need to put in more hours too - although am currently working every day, I think my couple of half days/evenings off will have to go for a bit....:-(

A

Hi Sue,

Sorry to hear your workload has just increased! I'm sure though even though you have to change focus, much of that will be writing what you have into a different style? The work you have done to date is not lost and will always be valuable. I feel for you though trying to work as well. Just remember to get an evening off a week, or a day at the weekend, you don't want to burn out, its not worth it! Don't stress about the xmas deadline, just work as much as you can towards it and i'm sure it will all fall into place! I think for me stressing about deadlines actually makes me less productive, and just relaxing and trying to get into it gets me there faster. I hope the same can apply to you, and i'm sure whatever happens you'll get to enjoy your xmas,even if just a day or two off, we'll definitely deserve it by then!!!

I'm struggling to get going today, still in my PJ's, with work surrounding me, but need to get going before i procrastinate all day with household chores and weekly shop and don't get anything done! :(

Keep up the good work Sue, (up)