Having a really horrid day...

B

I'm having such a horrid day, you know the ones: you get up in the morning and realise very quickly that you shouldn't have bothered. I'm on a 1+3 which my two supervisors believe is basically a 4 year PhD (I've already been told that I should be doing my MSc in my "spare time"). I had a meeting with the two of them today, and I just had to sit there while they argued about the direction that they believe I should be going in. This culminated in one saying to the other "well if you think that I think Bobby should just transfer and work wit you alone". I was mortified.

The other supervisor then went on to ask why I hadn't conducted a full lit search into an area. She didn't think that my MSc demands were a good enough excuse.

And I hate my housemates. I want to cry, give up and go home.

F

Big hug Bobby. I'm feeling awful, just about collapsed again this weekend, lack of sleep, stress, and everything is catching up with me. I think for most people the Christmas hols will be a good chance for folks to get some strength back, my only problem is its Christmas (and everything with it) that is adding to my stress! You sound like you need a change of a scenery, just take it easy, and breathe...you will be fine .

P

Hug for Bobby.

Housemates - can't live with them, can't shoot them. Maybe fifi is right and you need to have a couple of days away from it all to relax. Is that possible?

K

{{{{{{{{{Bobby}}}}}}}}}}}}
{{{{{{{{Fifi_fole}}}}}}}}}
Hoping you're both feeling better soon. Remember things are constantly changing, so although you may feel crap now, that will pass.

P

Poor you guys. Sounds horrible. KC is right though.
I understand when you are caught up having a rubbish day, and everything is going pants its hard to appreciate that nothing is ever permenant.
Hoever life is constantly moving ~ so try and take heart that the bad stuff is not forever.

F

Cheers kc, I think my emotional problems are adding to my stress as per always (hence I am seeing a couinsllor). However, on a positive note, I have turned my life around since I started my PhD, I just need to think positively and not live on my nerves...however, christmas isn't a good time of year on any year & this year will be worse than ever, but I maybe able to smile once its all over, and I am not going to be stuck in the environment I was living in.

P

Fifi thats good you are looking forward and helping yourself with the counciling - a very positive step admiting your problems need some extra or outside help - be proud of this move.

Have you thought of trying yoga or meditations ? Both are great for the central nervous system , relaxation and even concentration.

N

Hi, Bobby, is it going better today?

N

I hope it was only one bad day, but if the problems you mention in your post persist, I would try to do something about them:

-About the MSc/ PhD thing: is your masters by research? If it's a taught one, do you have to do a final research project? You could try to write your master thesis as a chapter you will be able to integrate later in your PhD thesis, or cover literature you will need for your PhD.

-My supervisor insists only in the fact that I'm doing my own PhD and the ultimate decisions about it are mine, even if he will be advising and helping me. So I think you should listen to your supervisors, of course, but at the same time taking your own decisions (of course this is not easy as at the beginning of your PhD you are working on an area you may not know well, and you don't know which are likely to be the right decisions). If the situation continues or gets worse, isn't there a head of postgraduate studies, or even the head of your department, who can give you advice?

Bobby, if your 1+3 is a taught masters then a research PhD there is no way that you should be doing the masters part in your "spare time." Your supervisors are being really unprofessional in even suggesting this - the masters component in any subject is very difficult and demanding if you give it your full attention, let alone do it in your spare time! I think you should explain this to your supervisors, say you feel you need to devote your full attention to your masters and save the PhD work for the +3 part. At the end of the day failing the masters will mean you can't progress to the PhD!

D

Oh poor Bobby, Dr. DJWickid hopes you feel a bit more positive soon

B

Hey guys, that you very much for all of your comments. I have had a special word with my friend Father Christmas and he assures me he will give you all something lovely for Christmas.

I am having a better day today. Going to just try and get on with it until the end of term as its not too far away now. Hopefully going to get away from it all for a few days then. God, I don't even like them but now can't stop thinking about mince pies...crazy!!!

xxx

K

Hey bobby, so sorry you've been having a rough time. I have to agree with XJR here - your masters is very important adn shoul not be done in your spare time. Is it an ESRC case studentship?

If your supervisors continue to belittle the masters component, you should (politely) remind them that you won't be able to fulfil their expectations unless you pass the masters - as the ESRC or whoever is funding you will require you to. They won't fund the PhD research if you don't. Your supervisors had better realise that pretty sharpish and should be encouraging your progress.

As for arguing amongst themselves in front of you, that is unprofessional. Id there a general postgrad tutor whom you could discuss things with?