Having so much trouble doing anything

A

Hi,

I'll give you a bit of background, started PhD, my supervisor left in the first year, but went to a near by uni, so is still my sup. I've always had trouble in my monitoring sessions, so despite upgrading me after 18 months, they asked me to write an additional report for my current and next experiments. My supervisor has been little help with this, so my 2nd supervisor got involved and helped me with my plans, etc. As it's been September, I've been away at two conferences this month. I've got to hand in a draft chapter or lit review or something substantial next week. I have some drafts written from a few months ago, but my ideas have changed a lot since then, so I need to update them.

I handed in the additional report 3 weeks ago and I've not heard anything from my monitors, So, I'm not sure if I'm doing a PhD or will be knocked back down to an MPhil. I am so stressed out about everything, hardly slept last night, which isn't helping me with my motivation (nor is having no feedback). I just don't know what to do anymore, part of me wants to run away and hide, the other part of me wants to... I'm not sure, today I'd say mostly sleep (but that's probably because I'm on antibiotics and had little sleep last night!).

Anyway, I feel like I'm totally stressed out, was considering going in and saying I can't do this anymore to one of the heads of year... But, the head of year is one of my monitors, who decides if I stay on and do an MPhil or a PhD. Help!!!!! xxxx

G

I think I sent you a few pms ages ago - so you stayed on your PhD but things still seem like they're going downhill? You have to decide whether you're sticking to it or not, changing your mind every few weeks will only make you feel miserable. Trust me, I went through the same thing. Good luck with your issues. (I just had a humorous thought - might as well call a PhD 'Issue Management' lol)

A

Hey, yep you did say that in your PM's... It's the constant waivering that is making me miserable... Although feeling ill doesn't help either! I ended up going over to see family for a couple of hours for a chat and I think I've realised that it's the constant not knowing if I'm doing a PhD or MPhil that is getting to me....

Mind you, I remember from being an undergraduate that they never mark work on time at my uni, even doing the MSc they were similar.... And what with term starting over the next week or so, everybody is snowed under. So... Maybe I should just decide to do the work for myself.... What will happen, will happen and if I've tried my best, then no-one can put me down for that! :-)