Healthy Eating and Exercise!

S

Following on from a post about 3 weeks ago, on putting on weight during you PhD, I was just wondering how people are getting on with their new healthier lifestyles?

I have been trying to eat a lot healthier for a while now and am finally not getting any sugar cravings! way hey! I have also taken up doing exercise dvd's in the evenings instead of sitting on my bum watching TV. Am enjoying doing yoga and aerobics and am already noticing some results. I feel more toned and am sleeping much better which has impacted on my concentration and is improving my work!

O

Good for you SillyBilly! I am sort of doing about the same--mostly healthy, could do better. I keep some fruit in my office to eat ( and have tried to cut out or back on the Doritos) and generally eat mostly healthy, if a bit heavy on carbs ( easy to fix late in the evening). I should get more exercise, but I do a lot of walking just in my daily routine to and from the uni, to the market or shops, and back, at least 30 minutes a day, sometimes much more. I wanted to get back into running...maybe I will give it a go this weekend.

O

I meant..the same as I had been doing...not the same as you. You sound really healthy with the yoga and all!

R

Was that three weeks ago already How depressing - I have been saintly (almost) and have lost a grand total of.... drum roll.... ONE pound. What am I doing wrong?????

I have a new theory that cutting out too much food slows down your metabolism so that you don't lose any weight - also less food = less energy for exercise. So the new plan is to eat more??? More good stuff anyway... *sigh*

Hopefully in another three weeks I will see some improvement!!!

S

I have only done the yoga three times, but it is such hard work and really leaves me tired. I think its much easier if you have energy, which means eating the right amount which is hard to gauge. My problem is that I don't own any scales and have no means of weighing myself. I am thinking that maybe it would be a good if I measure round my waist instead. I have noticed my flabby belly getting smaller but still have a muffin-top! Although, I am now on the smallest hole of my belt!

O

I hate the newish style of jeans. I want my jeans to end up near my belly button instead of drifting down around my hips. I think the hipster style of jeans creates muffin top myself, unless you are completely rail think like Posh Spice, they make you have muffin top. My waist is near my belly button, not near my hipbones!

J

I think exercise makes all the difference; it raises your resting metabolic rate so you are slower to gain weight in the first place.

B

Hello all! I'm afraid to say I've stayed the same weight wise--though I suppose that's good in the sense that I haven't gained! How often do you guys tend to exercise? I'd like to start working it into my routine, just to clear my head and make me feel refreshed. I think it's a great way to get out tension we're feeling with the PhD. I tried cutting my food down, but I found I was getting lethargic and couldn't concentrate.

B

I get an organic vegetable box delivered every week. It really did help with the whole healthy eating thing. You're motivated to eat all the veggies as you've already paid for them, and it is actually easier to plan meals than it is from scratch since it is already half-planned for you, in a way. You do have to enjoy cooking, though . . .

O

In keeping with the posting themes of the day you should demand that you be given your own personal live in trainer, who is so good that when he/she exercises, you do not have to and their results make you fitter and healthier. You should be given your own organic farm, where you can get whatever you want, and your home will be staffed with organic chefs, who can whip up an organic meal at the mere lifting of a finger.

S

Unfortunatly, the diet has slipped somewhat as I has macaroni cheese for dinner last night with coke and some ice-cream for afters However, I did do some more aerobics and am sure that my love handles and muffin top are decreasing slowly (Or maybe I am just convincing myself?) Am hopefully going to pursuade the other half to go for a bike ride with me at the weekend to make up for all the naughty food!

T

excellent, I should do some pilates too , starts from today..