Hello- just accepted PhD!

M

Many thanks ! Kirsty , will there be any chance you are base at Bart's Medical School (Queens Mary University) , because I saw a project there on Cancer therapy , viral vectors and thought of applying but didnt at the end.

I had to wait 4 weeks for the offer from Cambridge after the interview , but it wasnt my first choice anyway so I wasnt too nervous waiting ; but the one at Leeds which was my first choice - I had to wait a week until I received the offer . It worth the wait thou since I really like the project and the department there . And some of my fiends are already there ! It is a fantastic City.

E

Hi Kirsty and masters

I will be in London too, I'm not in cancer reserach, but I am in life sciences. My current degree is Biochemistry so I should (hopefully!) know what you're talking about!

I was surprised to get offers at the two places I was interviewed, because in each one I was floored by one question. In both cases I heard the same day by email so no waiting around.

If you're going to be in London perhaps we should have a meet?

ejc x

M

For my interview at Cam I was floored by about 5 questions , but still got the offer . I have said '' I am not sure '' so many times in that interview , I thought they were getting sick of hearing from me. We didnt even shake hands in the end and I literately storm out of the room, thats how bad I thought it went.

I still cant believe they offer me the funding , maybe they prefer someone who is honest in their answers . I was polite and charming until the final 30 seconds , may be thats the quality that they were looking for. I prob were their 2nd choice anyway , as the other person turned down the offer.

EJc, I am at Leeds and not London !

E

masters, yup I realised that but Kirsty said she will be in London.

K

ha ha masters, That did make me laugh about you storming out of the Cambridge interview, mine all ended pleasantly with shaking of hands and goodbyes so I have no horror stories to share I'm afraid! I'm sure I am imagining yours to be worse than it was though, slamming doors, evil looks and all that

are you moving to london then ejc or have you lived/studied here before?

H

Welcome all, hope you find this forum as entertaining/useful/place to vent your spleen in moments of intense displeasure but above all;
Enjoy the PhD

C

Hi,

I accepted a place a few months back and start in October, i was unsure if i had the place as the panel didnt give alot away, i actually thought it didnt go great. I actually rang the supervisor a month after my interview to ask what was happening as i had another offer and didnt want to accept that if i had his, he emailed me the next day offering me the place!

Would love to take time of but am currently doing a Mres and it is lots of work until September the 15th, then my birthday then i start in October. I am very excited, kinda wishing away my masters as i prefer my PhD topic, i understand thats probably not the best attitude!

M

Kirsty,

I didnt slam the door , but I should have done to make a more dramatic exit . I was angry with the panel as well at one point because they asked me alot of impossible questions and it was a no win situation . I got the offer in the end but I wasted £25 on the application , £62 on travel which they didnt reimburse , 2 references and a whole day !

I also had to wait a month for their decision as well ; by then I wasted more time to apply to two more universities . I should have phoned them like you did CM , but I wasnt that bother as it was going to be my 3rd choice at the time.

E

Kirsty,

Are you registered on the other forum? I just don't like posting the entire details of my life on this public one and the other one allows pms.

ejc x