Help, i am in despair

O

I have finally gone through my viva after about 8 years part time and have passed with minor changes after a four hour grilling. I had to have two externals as i once was a member of staff in the department. However, the more critical examiner left about 3 hours in and disappeared. I was given changes by the other two, but the critical third one who had left insisted that she'd be the one the changea should be submitted to. I am so worried that everything will be thrown out again and feel unfairly treated as the critcial examiner left before the viva was over yet is the one who wants to see th changes. I have submitted everything today 3 months after the viva, but i feel that everything is up in the air again and that I have been left to worry about being failed after all this effort. Has anyone experienced anything similar or has any wise words. The pressure has been enormous and is not really relieved by submitting today. I am at th end of my tether. thanks

U

Quote From Outdoorchick:
I have finally gone through my viva after about 8 years part time and have passed with minor changes after a four hour grilling.

You wrote you passed with minor changes. So why worry? Examiners sometimes become critical for various reasons e.g. to test the candidate's confidence, or even to display their own knowledge on the subject, etc. You told that she left before the viva was over. Had she been serious and thinking about failing you, she would have stayed till the end. I think, if at all, they might ask for a further revision, which is quite normal. Just keep your confidence and everything should be fine. Failing a PhD candidate is quite rare and only possible if you have done absolutely nothing. Have you talked to your supervisor? If she is with you and has acknowledged your work, no need to worry.

If you've done the required corrections, it would take a really nasty piece of work, a complete and utter jobsworth to go and fail you now.

If this examiner does fail you, I'd take a close look at why and most definitely look to appeal.

Chill out, you'll be okay.

Ian (Mackem_Beefy)

O

Yes, i know it's only minor corrections. However, everyone i told to whom I had to submit them to, did a sharp breath intake. I have tried my best, but i just cant face any more corrections. I sent an email to say hello, here are the changes etc, have a nice xmas. The answer i got was, thanks, don't expect ANY comments til rhe new year. It is grueling. I first
submitted my work 28th March, viva 10th of September finally and niw minor changes submitted 10th Dec, if they don't like it all those months and years, I am starting to despair.

I

These delays are normal- I passed with minor corrections, submitted after a month, and waited 7 months before my minor changes were approved!!!!! I had a horrid internal examiner who made things hell for me, but in the end you will pass. There is no such thing as a fail after a pass with minor corrections- never happens. Assure yourself you'll pass and that the wait, though painful as I know from experience, is just that- a wait. Congrats Dr Outdoorchick.