Help! I am unsure about whether to do an MA or Mphil

K

hi, I graduated a year ago with a first in an art based course and have applied to do a masters, but was unsuccessful. My tutor just found out that their reason for rejecting me was that my work was already too advanced for their masters programme, and they felt I was "well on my way already". She said she had heard this before, and that it was not an excuse by them. However, I really want to go into academia and therefore need a postgraduate qualification to qualify for lecturing posts at the right level. What should I do now? Should I look at doing an MPhil/PhD? Should I apply again for the MA and prove my committment and tenacity? Please help.

N

In most humanities subjects, you are required to have a MA before proceeding to the MPhil/PhD status. The MPhil is rarely a qualification people take for its own sake, more often than not you are required to register initially as a MPhil student and then, as your research progresses, you get updated to PhD status.

However, as you say you're a graduate in fine arts, I reckon there might be another issue here: is it that you have graduated from a very practical programme (i.e. few theory and lots of painting/sculpture etc), applied then to a "practical" MA, and now you want to have an academic career but more focused on the theory part? If so, I suppose that a "theory"-based MA would be useful to get acquainted with research methods, theory, history... (as opposed to a MA which is more practice-based).

K

Hi, I graduated from a very practically based course, with a little bit of theory (short dissertation), but I definitely have the academic background for PHd level, as I already had another honours degree in english/management (2:1) before doing this fine art degree, so doing more theoretical work doesn't phase me. I think the way it works in my discipline is that you do a practical research project and then back it up with a written thesis. By moving into academia I mean mainly teaching at university level.

O

sure you want to go into academia and take up lecturing? ARe you aware of the possible implications for your life, both positive and negative?

N

Well, if you have been rejected for a MA on the basis of "being too advanced for them", can't you just apply directly for the MPhil/PhD programme at the same institution? Also, I would try definitively to contact the department who rejected your application (maybe through your tutor) so that they could advise you about the exact reasons of their rejection and whether they think you can apply directly to their PhD.

I had similar problems when applying for PhDs (I had a postgraduate course, but somewhat different to a typical British masters), and I discussed the possibilities with different departments before sending a formal application - most of them were happy to help.

K

Otto, you sound like you've had some bad experiences with being a lecturer. I am not sure what possible 'implications' you could mean, but I am very sure that this is my vocation. Could you please elaborate?

Nimrod, I had wondered about that. My tutor did ask them why I had been rejected, and this is the reason they gave her. She thinks I should apply again next year to demonstrate determination, but I am unsure as I wouldn't want to be rejected twice. Yet I do need a postgraduate qualification to become a lecturer at university level...

S

kathy applying againg next year doesn't seem to make sense, since you will be even further progressed - and if you are already too advanced for them now...?
rather i'd try applying directly for PhD, or perhaps for 1+3 programms.

a note of caution: academic life is full of temporary positions and therefore full of applications that need to be written. competition is fierce and you'd have to be extremely lucky to be successfull within the first two appl. you write, every time... so if the though of getting a second denial bothers you, you should think about how much it bothers you, because you will most probably be getting loads of such denials in the future if you go down that road.
i'm not saying it's not possible and you wouldn't get a job. you just need to be aware that the process of finding a job will most likely involve a lot of unsuccessful applications.

K

Hi Shani, I know how tough academia is, and I know that it involves both successes and rejections. But I just know that this is the job for me - I love teaching and feeling that I'm making a difference. I just feel like I'm being stopped in my tracks before I have even reached the start line, for having performed too well...

B

Hi Kathy111

All sounds a bit weird to me. If they thought you were too good for the MA, surprises me that they wouldn't recommend a suitable alternative MPhil/PhD route. I was in a similar situation to you and initially applied to do an MA but indicated at the time it was a precursor to doing a PhD and was asked to submit a proposal for the PhD and ended up going the MPhil/PhD route as being the better option (since it was what I wanted ultimately anyway). I'm halfway through my second year and glad I took this route (although there are days when I wish I'd just done the MA as it would have been over and done with quicker). You're right that most universities want you to have a higher degree if you want to lecture, but some will accept you part-way through your PhD (depends what subject area you're aiming for and whether you're studying full or part-time - I'm part-time). [need to do this in two parts... *sigh*]

B

[part 2]

If your aim is to get into lecturing as quickly as possible, and you're not too fussed about a higher level (e.g. PhD) than that... go for the MA. If you can't get into the institution you applied to, can you not try another one? It's difficult to advise you when we don't know the subject area you're interested in, mind you.