Help! It's late at night and I'm sick of my thesis!

T

Just sitting here struggling with the 3rd revision of my 6th chapter. I feel like chucking it all away because I am so fatigued with rewrite after rewrite. At this stage I am not sure the hard slog of late night after late night is worth it. I'm sick, I'm growing older by the minute and cannot find any motivation to carry on. Help!

S

I know you are juggling this around family life like me. It is tiring and I don't like working late at night (or rather, I don't like having to get up early with my daughter after working late the night before).

I just try to hang on to the idea of actually submitting and how great that will be!

T

Thanks. You cannot know how great it feels to hear another voice out there who understands.

P

I feel your pain - I thought I had finished my thesis in 2006... I got told I needed to re-write and edit bits of it... over a year later, I submitted... there was so much red pen, so many tears... I was so, so sick of it and if ANYONE asked me when I was going to be submitting, I bit their head off as I felt like such a failure as 'why couldn't I get it right and just be rid of the whole thing?'

Hang in there.. THIS is the hardest thing you'll ever have to go through and I bet you're on an emotional rollercoaster... you re-write and think it's better and then you get told you need to make more edits.. just keep going and think of the day you'll graduate.. sounds so petty, but every time you re-write it gets better and better....

Keep going, it will be worth it

L

PC i totally agree with you, i too also bite peoples's heads off when they say, haven't you done your phd yet? why havent you written your thesis. ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

tetris, i totally symapathise - (lol i can't even spell it)
with ya!!

S

I am hear with you too. I had to rewrite areas of mine and felt like a total failure and was unable to face people who kept asking about my research. I was working, with two older children embarking on their first degrees, a young baby who is now three, a husband who was not an academic two step children from hell...and the story went on and faced with a rewrite..it has been hell. The step children have now left both my older girls are graduating and I have submit in June - keep working if only I had seen the site before. my pain is yours...x

T

Thanks guys! Finding this forum has done the trick for me. I am editing with a will now. Wished I'd searched harder and found you guys earlier.

L

Hey tetrisfiend,
Don't feel disheartened, take a break when you feel this way and start working on the report next day. Just think why you are doing PhD? How good you will feel when you finish PhD, just a matter of time, gl