Help, leaving a PhD

T

I have been studying for a PhD for 3 months now, however I feel very demotivated and I am thinking about leaving. I applied for many projects last year but I only got accepted on my current project. I was in two minds about whether or not to accept the project as it was not entirely what I wanted to do. My supervisor has noticed something is not right and I do not know what to do for the best. I would like to apply for another project elsewhere (another institution) in another area I enjoy. I am worried about being "blacklisted" and that other institutions would interpret my leaving as undedicated and lazy. I am in a catch 22. Please Help. As anyone else been in a similar situation? Is it possible to get on to another PhD after leaving one?

Craig G

S

Hey Craig, I was in exactly the same position, although I decided after 6 months that I wanted to go, after being unhappy since day 1. Other unis are not overly critical of someone transferring, they realise that a PhD requires so much dedication that you must be doing something that you absolutely want to do. All I can say is apply elsewhere - be absolutely honest without slagging off your current uni - and just see what's out there. It doesn't matter if you stay or go, you just need options!

T

Thanks for the advice sleepyhead. I think I may have left it a little late for applying to other institutes this year. How did you break the news to your old supervisor? Was he/she supportive? What did you do about a reference?

S

Hi im in a similar situation, but have not actually started the PhD yet, am doing a small project as part of my previous course and will then go onto to do my PhD afterwards. But have realised that this is not the right place for me to do my PhD. Its not research focused, quality of the research group i'm in and the facillities are not good. Now I want to do a PhD in academia, and luckily I have an offer for another PhD at another institution with full funding, however I'm unsure how I should break it to my supervisors. Have been really stressing out about this. Also taking up this other PhD would mean moving away, from my Boyfriend and I havent told him this yet as I'm sure it's bound to cause an argument and will probably put me off going. However I know thta staying where I am is totally the wrong direction for me, have spoken to several people about this and they all agree that the move is the best thing.
Any I deas?

T

Shanghichica, you should go with the project and whats best for you.
In my case it is not the institution it is the project I am doing. Do I tell my superviosr I going to apply for different projects at different institutes or do I wait until my supervisor hears through the grapevine? All I know is I cannot stay here doing this project. I have not upgraded yet, surley it would be best to give another person with a passion for the project a chance. HELP!!!!!

S

I am in a predicament as such as well. The only concern is that will I be blacklisted by the new uni in funding application? The admission bit should be fine as long as you can provide a manageable research proposal, but when it comes to funding, if I don't mention the void experience with the old uni, will they be able to know that from some shared sources and eject me in that sense? Does anybody know if University of London have a shared source to exchange such info re dropout, progress of Mphil/PhDs? I am paranoid and shivering in my shoes when I think about it. I know the funding application is competitive, but it would be too depressing if they make you unsuccessful for this particular reason that you've dropped out from your previous uni and you're not committing yourself to your old project, so you'll not able to do the same to the new one????

T

Sour Apple I am having the same problem. Luckily a small number of the PhDs I want to apply for are funded by another body.
Problem is I cannot help but think "why would another superviosr accept a dropout?"
I cannot study my current PhD for another 3 years. The future is bleak, I need to leave before I get thrown off.

T

BTW ive done 9mths of 3 + 1 PhD