Help with PhD!

S

Hi,

I desperately need some help/guidance.

I am interested in doing my PhD in volcanology over the next year or two.
I have been trying very hard to network with volcanologist from all over the world and asking for advice, however it appears that it is some kind of ‘secret organisation’ where no one is willing to help.

I have been struggling to find information and guidance and have read the contents on findaphd.

I have an idea of what to do my research on, but require guidance on how.

I have contacted a few staff at the University I am interested in attending in order to ask them how to approach this, but the replies so far have not been helpful at all and I have been told to keep an eye on PhDs that are advertised on their site. I did try to point out in the email that I want to do an independent project rather than the ones that they have advertised.

I am now running out on ways to get advice and therefore I would greatly appreciate help on here.

My main questions are;

•How do I find the relevant supervisor and approach them? The problem I may face is the fact that although I know what I want to do the research on, I am unsure on how and this is why I will also require their guidance.

•Where do I even begin to find funding for independent projects? Are there deadlines for these?

I will also be attending a conference; does anyone have any advice on how to approach relevant people about a PhD? Is it a good idea to approach them at conferences?

Has anyone else faced difficulties in getting guidance regarding their research topic?

Thank you!

T

You need to read some literature and find the methods other people are using and suggest how these can be applied to the research area when you approach potential supervisors. You also need to make sure the areas and methods you are interested overlap with those the supervisors are interested in.

It's really a lot easier to just apply to a project that is already funded. You will be lucky to get funding for an independent project unless you come across a very interested supervisor with a lot a money (I think this may be an extinct species though so good luck...).

You can approach people at conferences. Just talk to people who are doing similar work to what you are interested in. The same things mentioned above still apply though.

M

The best way if you want to do your own project is to read loads and then write a proposal that you think will fill a gap in the literature. Then email someone whose interest is similar to your proposal and say that there you feel there is a need for this research and you would like them to supervise you. Then if they are interested they will normally point you in the direction of funding. The most important think to remember is that a PhD is an individual project so you ave to show that you have initiative to come up with your own ideas and get your potential supervisor intrigued in your potential, If you just apply to someone and say you are generally interested in their topic why would they pick you out of all the people who would like to get a scholarship. Lecturers get people emailing them all the time so you have to show why you are different to all the other people they get applying.

I disagree that difficult to get funding for an individual project as I got offered funding in 4 universities this year for my project. (Although this was in the social sciences so maybe a bit easier, I don't know). I think the most important thing is to write a good proposal, I took about 3 months writing mine. But you have to remember that that is your chance of demonstrating your abilities to your potential supervisor so you have to do the best proposal you can

S

Thank you both for the advice :)

U

Hello Saajeda

Professors like all professionals are busy person and normally may not reply emails from complete strangers. I would suggest to find literature on the topic you want to do research on. Read the literature and follow the methodology used in these papers. Contact the author of any paper you like to ask questions you may have. You might get some answers and build some network this way.

Also search if any professors has funding in this area which may be limited as compared to other areas such as earthquake research. Try to follow the research of professors having fund and eventually you may get what you want.