Help!

M

Hi all

I need your thoughts and advice.

I applied to Cambridge for PhD law and was rejected. I'm really sad about it and don’t know what to do. :-(

Thing is, I have an offer from University of Wales and my professor at University of Warwick where I did my Masters has kind of mentioned it would be good to come back to Warwick. Also, my parents really, really want me to go for a PhD.

However, with the rejection from Cambridge, I'm thinking of postponing the PhD application until next year so I can apply to other schools like LSE, Graduate Institute Geneva and even Oxford (can't apply to start in Sept because I've missed the application deadline). I really want to a good university for the PhD and not just any average university.

Please what should I do? Should wait till next year and apply to the aforementioned school? Should I go back to Warwick? Isn't one of the points for undertaking PhD is to go to a university with sound research facilities? Am I too ambitious for wanting to go to top universities?

Please give you thoughts. Thanks so much!

Maks

H

Sorry to hear about your disappointment. It's often the case that applications to a few places might be needed however.

You are not in the wrong for aiming for a top university, although it's worth bearing in mind that there are excellent groups/departments in other universities.

I think you really need to think first and foremost about why you want to do a PhD though. You say your parents really really want it for you, but is this what you want? A PhD is tough and you can only get through it if you're motivated for YOU, not for what others want. Similarly being in a prestigious institution will be little comfort if it turns out the research environment you're in is not supportive and nurturing.

I would classify the considerations you need to make as follows:

(i) Priority considerations
- Does the project sound like something that would interest you for 3+ years?
- Is it (adequately) funded?
- What is the supervisor like? What kind of support might you get?
- What is the department like? Good reputation?
- Will this actually help you find a job afterwards?
- Wider opportunities (training, conference attendance etc)

(ii) Secondary considerations
- Reputation of the uni (within reason). There are a lot of excellent institutions you don't list which might be more accessible

(iii) Things to avoid
- Letting your decision be influenced by other people's ambitions for you
- Taking on a PhD without an idea of how it might help you reach the next stage in your career

T

======= Date Modified 23 May 2011 14:34:44 =======
Hi Maks,

I was in a similar situation a year ago - rejected by Cambridge. I was then offered a place at another university which while good lacks the prestige of Oxbridge. I took it, and I havent regretted it once - in fact I think I was blinded by wanting to get into Cambridge that I didnt really look at what really mattered - having a great supervisor who is genuinely interested in supporting the research that you want to do.

If you really want to get started, and if you can find a good supervisor at Warwick (which has a great reputation anyway doesnt it?) or Wales then I'd really think about taking it - although take into account HazyJane's very important considerations as well!

You'll have to decide what matters most for yourself though.

Good luck

T

You already have some great advice but I just want to add this. I really, really wanted to go to Cambridge as an undergraduate and didn't get in. I was so disappointed especially as I was up against people from private schools who had been coached for months - my comp had absolutely no idea! :-s So I applied again the next year - and still didn't get in! I think you should bear in mind that even if you apply next year, there are no guarantees. How would you feel in this case? If waiting another year doesn't matter to you than by all means, give it a go. Otherwise I would go for the offers you have.

K

Hey Maks- I just wanted to echo what Hazyjane pointed out. Of course it's good if you get your PhD from a top uni, but there are a lot of other things to think about at PhD level. You need to think about the reputation of the department itself, the team/lab you'll be working within and your supervisors. Some of the best research teams for specific topics are not necessarily at the top universities. I moved away from a prestigious university to a more average uni, because the department itself was much better at the average uni than the top uni. Now I'm finishing off my PhD and when I've been making enquiries about jobs, everyone has commented on how fortunate I am to be working with my supervisors and one professor wrote back to me and commented that I was 'of an excellent pedigree'! I wouldn't have been working with people (or a team) this successful at the uni I left, so it is worth considering other universities that might not be Oxbridge, but might just provide you with even better expertise and a better experience. I'm not saying it's necessarily true of your subject, but it might be- it's worth a look around! Best, KB

M

Thanks guys! Rejection from Cambridge didn't feel so terrible after your comments! After Cambridge fiasco, I felt maybe I'm not good/smart enough for a PhD degree. BUT you guys made me see it another way.

I want to do a PhD for two reasons- (a) cos I want to do it. My research proposal is an extension of what I did for my Masters and I thoroughly enjoyed reading/researching it and (b) for career reasons as well. Luckily, my parents have agreed to pay for everything so I'm not applying for funding. The reason why my parents want to me do it is cos I'll be getting married soon. I'm 25 and in my country/culture, it's such a late age for marriage. So they (my parents) feel, if I start on time, I can still fit in marriage and kids within a reasonable period.

After reading your comments, I sent out a couple of emails to professors at different universities so I'm waiting for their response(s). If they agree to take me, then I'll apply. Also, I called Warwick but was told the Law prof that wanted to supervise me is on medical leave and don't know when he'll return. I hope it's soon cos it'd be great to speak with him.

My only worry now is it's almost end of May and apparently, by this time, I should have the uni I'll be going to sorted out. I just hope it's not too late.

Again, thanks all for your thoughts! I really, really do appreciate it.