Hi All, a bit lost but trying!

N

Hi, I finished my Bsc in Biology this year, and am about one third through a year long Msc while I try and get onto a Phd. I'm simply here to ask for some tips in applying for a Phd, my requirements are relatively simple: I would like to stay in the UK, I need to start next year (complicated) and this Msc has sucked up all my remaining funds after the degree (no funding), so I really need a stipended or paid, and funded Phd with minimum expenditure etc. I know this is a very general question at best, but if anyone could help me (my Uni isnt so good in this department as they have no funding for Phds and so little interest), I would be very much in your debt.

D

Hi

I finished my BSc last year and am now in the first year of my PhD. I simply searched on the findaphd database for anything that i liked the look of. Usually there are a few references cited which can help give you an idea if you like the area. I applied for a few - always in writing - call me old fashioned but I dont like emailing for jobs etc. It was around 12 weeks before I heard anything but after the interview things happen quite quickly. In terms of your financial situation - its perfectly normal! Most people expect to be funded with a stipend. The database has a key to let you know if funding is available. Hope this helps

N

Thanks both, real positive info. : really appreciate it!!