Holiday Entitlement

G

Hello!

I am considering applying for a PhD, i currently work as a pharmacist and was hoping to be able to continue to do some locum work to help fund the degree.

Obviously the difference between a pharmacists salary and the PhD award is significant so i was hoping to be able to locum in holidays etc when free and do uni work in evenings etc

How much holiday entitlement would you expect to get during the PhD? Obviously everyones PhD is different but does everyone think it would be acceptable to take the odd day away from the uni to do some locum shifts?

T

Another pharmacist PhD!!!

All the pharmacists clear days, take off and earn extra wonga. Who wouldn't? Your stipend is tax free and earnings on top of it are taxed as if they are your sole earnings, you probably won't be much worse off at all (so you're looking at ~£13.5K stipend + upto £6.5k personal allowance before tax kicks in). Most PhD "contracts" state that you are entitled to 6 weeks holiday, plus bank holidays and enforced university closure days. Enjoy!

If only someone had told me earlier that counting tablets was so lucrative!

G

Oh, really. I was not aware that the first 6.5K after the stipend was still classed as tax free. I thin in reality i could probably earn about that without it taking up to much time from the PhD.

Thanks.