Holidays - Eveyone else skipipng these?

W

Hello all,

If normal full-time work allows 4 weeks a year, we should give ourselves at least the same. In fact, I genuinely believe that if doubled to 8 weeks, anyone’s actual annual productivity would not suffer at all. I actually think this should be for all work, but quality of life and capitalist needs are not compatible.

Yet with this firm belief I have only had 1 week off since starting in January! Meaning I'm averaging 2 weeks PA. I have peers who have done the same AND have suffered guilt during holiday time.

For me, I don't think I had guilt while on holiday, I just feel permanently that I haven't yet done enough to deserve a one!

This is intolerable and frankly inhumane; would you expect anyone in your employment to have such little holiday?

So I'm going to attempt to end the madness and I'd encourage all of you to take plenty of holidays and enjoy life. Book yourselves a week off now... Accept that you will achieve the same – or probably more.

Would anyone care to join me?

Tris

C

I've had one week off since starting in October..

W

Aw, that's terrible - go on, weather's looking up!! Take a week off and shed the guilt.

J

This is really interesting... I have had ad hoc time off to go to weddings or if I have had a hangover (!) but had have just 4 scheduled days off for holiday, and one full weekend, since September! This sept tho I intend to take 14 days off before the new term... tho how I will do this if I am at home I don't know. I will feel really guilty and stressed so may have to camp in a field nearby... It isn't fair tho I agree - in fact I have 8 weeks a year to take as I am funded but that I am funded means I feel obligated to work work work!

What to do...

It is madness.

P

I took some time off over christmas; but thats about it! :( I want to stab people who are lucky enough to go away on holidays to lovely exotic places such as mexico and america-whilst i'm stuck here feeling like crap (given recent events). :( Oh well, only two more years of this then im free :) and WILL relish the sites of this world.

J

I'm with you - only had one day off this year too. I feel like headbutting the next person who stops me in the corridor and says "So where are you off on your holidays then?" Summer holidays? While doing a PhD? If only.

S

Absolutely. Just back today after 3 weeks away (although one week was spent writing a paper). Feeling much refreshed.

In all honesty, there's never a good time to take a holiday, but take them you must. The break appears to have done me the power of good.

J

I would like to (and I know it would do me good) but there always seems to be someone wanting some result from you: there never seems to be a free week. Sigh...

W

Just a couple of extra thoughts that might help me:

1. If I was ill for 6 weeks, everything would be just fine, perhaps some catch-up, but it could happen to any of us, and will never be convenient.

2. I really believe our culture breeds a need to constantly express how busy we are. It's a sad thing. If I constantly told everyone I was too busy and too stressed - I'd be in danger of believing it.

Make a stand and be really good to yourself.

Peace..

J

That's true. I've never known anyone say
that they were not busy enough.

Is it true the rest of Europe goes home at 4pm every day?

J

I did set myself strict work hours, like 9-5 weekdays and then 9-4 on Fri, with weekends off. It worked for one brilliant week and then I had to work a weekend and so slept in on monday and all went topsy turvy again! is so complicated - I am only in my first year tho. I really hope next year I wil be more disciplined with my time... hmm...

K

I'd love to have a long holiday, but it's my bf stopping me not my studies! He can't really get a big chunk off from work at the moment because he can't ensure we wouldn't have to cancel last minute - it's very frustrating! I want a holiday!

Well back to the lab for me....

H

Don't go on a holiday, especially if its really nice and relaxing in a country with lovely weather. You just get depressed when you have to get back to work.

K

I just went on my first real holiday since beginning 3 years ago, even though it was only for 3 1/2 days, it was the best holiday ever! It was also the first time that I didn't think. When writing up, I think its really important to take a break so I've also booked another 8 day holiday this month! I think it is essential that all PhDers take a holiday!