Home or library?

B

Definitely at home, probably because I feel quite comfortable & unstressed. I find places where students gather make me a bit anxious. However, I always make an effort to leave the house and do something (even if it is just a bit of food shopping) at least once a day.

Never thought I'd see the day when I found myself having to "schedule in" leaving the house. Hehe.

M

wow its amazing reading all your posts and realising that im not the only one going thr all this! i work more from home, as like being alone to work, like u all hv said can get regular cups off tea, where comfy scruffy clothes etc (altho very embarasing other week when had to answer door to postman and i looked a complete mess, lol)..but, ive found too much time at home on own and ive slipped into bit of depression without realising, and found it very difficult to reconnect with outside world..hard to break the isolation spell of being housebound...

R

I'm lucky enough to have some office space (2 other people in there with me) and I find it so much easier there than at home. At home I tend to end up watching Frasier or constantly checking BBC News - whereas in the office - my colleagues tend to be helpful and individually productive - which in turn encourages me to follow their lead.

P

Working from home is just so much...nicer, isn't it? Sometimes that feels like one of the big privileges of being a PhD student - not having to sweat it out in a big office or other institutional building. I think I've developed a bit of a phobia now about going into college, however. Fear of a run-in with my supervisor, or just another PhD student (y'know, one of those ones who just 'loves every minute of it'). I'm happy working at home now, but it may well make the transition to Proper Working Life all the more traumatic eventually.

S

I don't know I've been shut up in my house for 6 months now doing this - and sometimes it can get a bit much -solitude!

At least I don't waste time and money travelling tho!

C

dont most of you have an office to work in ? I thought that was pretty standard? I shared an office with three other committed phds and we are next to the kitchen for endless cuppas and if I wanted music I use headphones. I found it very easy to work there. I think its healthier to leave work at work and when I went home I could relax and not be constantly picking up papers. In my fourth year I had to work from home and hated it especially in winter - I went a bit stir crazy and felt like I never left the house. I found I had to get up with my husband at 6am and walk to the gym in order to 'simulate' a commute to work...
otherwise I would have sat in my jim jams all day and fretted. I think you can be in danger of getting very isolated if you dont go and work outside of the house a few times a week.

S

I have the option of an office, but its not a great space (no windows) and only apple macs with rubbish internet, plus people use it as a canteen - too disruptive - at least at home I get peace when I want it - but it can be a bit unstimulating - best of two evils for me

S

Hi, I've had a similar issue but now split my time so as to keep the contact with the outside world. I'm also quite lucky that I have a shared PhD office, but the other students don't get in until later afternoon so if I go in early I have the room to myself but am only 5 mins from the library if I need it.

Am I the only one on a research training programme as part of the PhD (1st year)? I've found that if I have to go in for these courses I tnd to go in for the full day and make the most of it (get all the jobs done like copying, filling in forms). This also helps with some of the isolation issues, although I agree with the coffee benefits of working from home.