Horns of a dilemma

H

Hi guys.
When in doubt, come to the forum. Whether I agree with you or not, at least i get honest answers!
I have two very good offers on the table. Really unsure which one to choose. Any suggestions?

Option A has a potential supervisor who is really keen on my research proposal (in fact I think they are keener than me) and is very knowledgeable in the area of research. Only difficulty with this one is the amount of time they need me to undertake research training. Commuting such a long way at least twice a week will cost a fortune.

Option b - requires the same training but spread over two years rather than squeezing it in one. The school has many many recognised experts in the field but the potential supervisor came across as rather disinterested by the whole idea (although they did give positive feedback after).

So, is it the excellent, keen supervisor and lots of commuting or the not so keen supervisor but lots of expert support and less travelling??

I really am torn on this one. Any advice would be welcome.
Cheers

B

Without knowing the ins and outs its hard to say anything concrete.

However, think about the "vibe" you get at each place. Are there any niggling doubts about one uni over the other. Fitting in at the uni is just as important as your supervisor and project, as it keeps you connected to others and stops you getting isolated. Worry less about "prestige" and think more about connections, interdisciplinary learning and transferable skills.

H

cheers for that.
I have tried to put prestige to the back of my mind and concentrate on the dept, supervisor, etc.
The "vibe" is difficult to gauge with (option b) as it is a very small department at the uni and is physically isolated from the rest of the campus, whereas (option a) is dead central and part of the whole uni "scene".
Being a very mature student the location and "vibe" hasn't occured to me in my considerations.
Thanks for giving me something else to thnk about

C

Lol Badhaircut, you almost sound like a progressive force in universities with advice like that

J

Life is all about the right vibe and tune.