Horrible supervisory meeting!!!! Advice changes dramatically each meeting.

B

I have to re-submit transfer report. Im told I have to 'specify'. However, when I do start specifying, it seems my supervisor goes the other way. I had a meeting and he pretty much generalised over everything. Im worried these issues wont be resolved before I re-submit. It has just dawned on me that the advice given in one meeting is contradicted in the next and I am feeling totally confused now. Any thoughts guys?

H

my suggestion would be to write this all down in an email and say something like "just so it is clear in my mind". And then get him to specify what he specifically wants you to specify...

Sometimes supervisors need to be managed - not because they don't care, but because they have a zillion things on their plate. I would keep in regular contact via email or whatever works for you. This way you learn how they work and they know you are on top of things. Honesty is the best policy - so get him specifying! Good luck.

H

Do you write meeting reports?

I found this a really good habit. As soon as I come out of a meeting, I write down all the points that were discussed and send it to all my supervisors to read (its useful for the ones that didnt attend). So not only I have a record but they also have one of the supervisory meetings. Hence if you supervisor is being annoying, you just show them what they said last time.

M

Write a record of points discussed and agreed actions during the meeting, "so you can remember and you're clear on what you're doing", then get your supervisor to sign it and also sign it yourself. That way your supervisor can't disagree with what's written.