How did you choose project?

G

I'm still undergrad, and have started to think about what kind of PhD project would interest me. I know what kind of research I like (Drosophila development), but I don't feel I know enough to make a decision between different labs. I'm just curious to know how all of you who're doing PhDs, chose labs. Topic, contacts, prestigious university, chance etc?

G

I came to www.findaphd.com and searched the database =)

Don't worry about the reputation of the university you go to - look at the reputation of the supervisor and the department. A younger supervisor may not have built up a great reputation in his or her field, but will usually be able to offer you more time and enthusiasm as a supervisor.

Look at the RAE rating of your potential new department, look at which techniques you'll be using throughout your research, when you're interviewed talk to other lab members about their attitude towards the lab and the supervision.

It's generally considered better to change location for your PhD (but it's not uncommon for people to do a PhD in the department they first graduated from). Pick a place you're happy to live - it's no good being in a place that gets you down - the pressures of a PhD are hard enough to deal with.