How did you decide to do a PhD?

M

Hi everyone,

I've been employed for the past two years since my undergraduate MEng as a software engineer. The job's not really turned out how I'd hoped and it's time to start looking for something else. When I left Uni I was considering the PhD route but didn't go for it for reasons that I now regret.

One of the things that stopped me was that I could never decide whether a PhD was for me or not. I’m concerned that two years out of the academic world has left my theory rusty, my practical skills haven’t progressed much either (part of the reason I want out of the job – it’s not really the direction I want to head in).

People I’ve met who’ve done a PhD have told me that I need to have a good reason before starting. Is wanting to be a student again a valid reason? I enjoyed my undergraduate degree, particularly parts that involved more undirected investigation into an area, although I remember being frustrated often that I didn’t have the time to look into interesting areas in more detail.

Continued below:

M

As for reasons not to do one, it’s the usual “am I good enough / intelligent enough” worries that I (hope) a lot of people have. There’s also the worry that it’s 3 – 4 years out of employment, although I don’t enjoy my current job, I could at least use it to move elsewhere. Then again, I’m 25, what’s 3 – 4 years?

Anyway, I’m sure most of these are questions that I‘m going to have to find an answer to myself. But if there’s anyone else out there who’s gone through a similar thing and can offer some advice, or even just an encouraging “been there buddy, here’s what I did”, that would be great!

Thanks,
Tom

K

Hey Tom, I'm 25 and just in my first months my PhD. I had the option of doing a PhD after my degree or work. I decided to work with a view to gaining my professional exam (Chartered Surveyor). Having done that and realised that its not as fulfilling as I had hoped so decided to do a PhD part-time whilst still working. Unfortunately I'm not in a financial position to give it up completely! I'm glad I have had a few years working and although its not totally related to my phd subject, I have found I have definitely matured as a person and I think I know better now what I want to do with my future. My theory isnt what it should be but its definitely improving and I'm researching a subject I'm really interested in which is definitely a great motivator!

K

Managing the two is definitely a struggle but I think the overall personal satisfaction I get from both is rewarding! I dont think I can offer you any advice, but thought you might like to hear my experience! Good luck with your decision - let us know how you get on Orla

K

Firstly, don't ever start a PhD because you "want to be a student again". PhD life is nothing like a normal undergradute student life. It's completely different, it's more like a full time job with a lot more hours. Also, I wouldn't suggest starting one just because you are bored of your current job. If you want to do a PhD find a topic/subject that you are passionate about, and are willing to spend 3-4 years on a tiny part of it. If you can't do this, then there is a very high probability that you'll get bored of the PhD very quickly and end up quitting.

M

Thanks for the advice both of you.

I think I'm just having difficulty justifying it to myself, other than I think I would enjoy it and that I'd interested in the idea of persuing more-or-less my own agenda, in a field that excites me.

What were other people's reasons for starting a PhD? To get the ball rolling, here's a few suggestions, did you:
- do it for your career (in academia, or research)?
- because you thought you'd enjoy it and are passionate about your subject?
- because you always knew from an early age that you were born to do one?
- because your undergraduate supervisor suggested it?
- to put off working (I'm sure it happens in some cases, although this is not my reason)?

Many thanks,
Tom

B

Hi MrTom. Many reasons for me

- it was always on my mind that the PhD was something I would try for - since I was an undergrad with no clue what it was about!
- I like to learn about different research methods and how I can apply them
- working in a university over the long term without a PhD leaves less opportunity for promotion (even though I am not sure if I will return to work in a university I would like to have as many options as possible)
- Finally having a partner living in a different country meant I had to move and I used this opportunity to apply for a PhD!

H

Be very careful when considering a PhD based on your experiences as an undergrad! It is VERY different! What is expected of you goes way beyond what they expected of you on a degree course - you pretty much have to dedicate your life to a PhD, and you have to not only be passionate about your topic, but of science in general, and the whole working environment - i.e. the publish or die mentality that I experienced in many situations. I thought I went into a PhD for very good reasons - I'd taken a year out to think about it, found a topic that sounded interesting to me and which I'd love to continue working in after I finished the PhD - but a year in I still quit! Think about it very carefully.

P

I'm a 4th year PhD student, 3 years full time and since August 2006, have been writing up and submit next week. I know I'm going against the grain, however I decided to do a PhD because:
1)I didn't want to get a job - at 21, I didn't feel responsible enough
2)The title sounded funky
3)I got on well with my BSc 3rd year project supervisor
4)I loved student life
Well, I've been working full time since Augist 2006 as an IT consultant and writing up in my spare time and the last 4 years have been bloody fantastic. Not everyone has the same reasons for doing a PhD Just *do* think carefully about the 3 years, do you really think you can hack it?

W

I personally had one year experience working at a company during my four years undergraduate degree which I have just finished. I will be starting a PhD next January at a top uk university, and the only reason I am doing the PhD is to solve a specific scientific and technological problem ( Basically I don't care a lot about the process of PhD alhough it might be a necessary tool to solve the prblem I am after), and if I can solve that problem I will go on to set up my own company and pursue my other objectives in life. It is Just like Larry Page and Sergey Brin who set up their google company from their PhD work at stanford.

I have read a lot of complaints in this forum, and what I want to say is that if you know exactly what do you want in this life, many problems will be solved easily.

M

Many thanks everyone for your replies. A good range there which is encouraging.

I'll let you know what I decide and how I get on. Decision making is a very long painful process with me, but once I've decided something I tend to stick by it.

Thanks,
Tom

B

Bear in mind, with an Engineering background, you could do an EngD. This is better paid, linked to industry, highly sought after by employers and gives you a vocational qualification that enables you to work independently. The only reason I know this is that a mate of mine was offered a PhD in engineering and an EngD, and after looking into it he said it was a better proposition.