How different are requirements for the non-US academic jobs?

L

I think most people are aware of differences in the PhD process in the U.S: several years longer, ABD (all but dissertation) status, large emphasis on teaching (consensus that grad students are taken advantage of as cheap labour), but I've been wondering about the employment market.

Some advice blogs (particularly http://theprofessorisin.com) lay out such specifics requirements for getting a job post PhD. For example, that you should not waste your time going to conferences (unless for the most highly-regarded), that you should only try to publish in the very best journals, that you should hold off on turning your PhD into a book you get a deal with a University Press. 'The professor' also claims that publishing in edited collections (and book reviews) are a waste of time.

Maybe these should just be considered 'ideals', but is the job market in the UK/Europe for instance really AS competitive?
I realise there is an expectation to publish, etc. but I feel like attending conferences is seen as an important part, too. And that publications in lesser-known journals do still count.

I suppose I'm asking if those hiring are quite as particular in what they look for, or is it acceptable to show that you have been active involved in the research community, in its various forms.

All thoughts welcome. :-)

R

*Bump* It would be interesting to hear from US and UK/European Post Docs, or those with experience of both.

L

Quote From reenie:

*Bump* It would be interesting to hear from US and UK/European Post Docs, or those with experience of both.
Maybe no-one knows?! A problem in itself...

B

I'd say that job market in the US is less competitive that it is in the UK at the moment as in my field, you can still get jobs there without publications which isn't the case in the UK. To be competitive for a UK job atm you need to be able to be submitted to the REF, have teaching experience and a viable research agenda post-PhD. Oh and the ability to deliver on the REF impact agenda. It might help to be able to walk on water too ;-) Lots of publications in less REF-worthy outlets are not helpful but you are expected to have done some conference presentations. One big difference I can think of between the UK and US is that where you did your PhD and who your supervisor was is a lot less important than in the US.
You just can't generalise about Europe. The hiring process varies a lot between countries but in general you are expected to have more publications than seems to be the norm in the US.