How do I obtain funding to go to conferences?

T

Hi

I'm going to a biology conference in November and I need to obtain some funding to pay for travel costs.

Which organizations etc should I join? I'm thinking maybe BBSRC but I can't seem to find how to do this on their website! Any ideas?

Can anyone suggest any other suitable organizations?

Thanks

L

I don't know about organizations, but you should be able to apply within your department? Have you tried searching your university's website for how to apply?

R

Are you fully funded? If so there may be a separate 'pot' of money designated for conferences etc that is attached to your funding. Check with your sup or the admin person in your department before looking for external sources.

M

I double that. My department bombards us with newsletters from time to time, with deadlines for travel / research / conference expenses.

T

Hi, thanks for the replies.

Yeah I am fully funded but I know they don't pay for conferences. They have told me before to join these things but don't know how to do it and I don't feel like I can now say that I haven't joined and don't know how to lol.

Has anyone obtained funding for travel expenses etc from any other sources apart from their own department ?

H

Ask other students in your dept what societies they belong to and how they fund conferences.

They're generally not too difficult to join, but some are more beneficial than others. Don't get too carried away as the costs will mount up.

It's also likely that your uni will have some funds available for such purposes but look at this now as they sometimes have limited deadlines for applications.