how do you people find working from home?

S

Hi, I've found working at home hugely more successful when I'm trying to write than when i'm in the office - especially being away from the internet. The only downer is feeling lonely, and cut off from people, which if left too long without people contact results in feeling low and ending up being unproductive. For me, I only live walking distance from the office, so I work at home, but come into the office for tea breaks to get my people contact quota. It's also good to have other people to bounce ideas off once in a while. Good luck

P

I would love to work from home, I can get so much more done! But I'm strongly encouraged to stay in the office pretty much all the time, and have to justify myself if I'm not in :( :(

I guess it depends on the person, the situation and the academic department

C

Hmmm, a mixed bag of comments. Thanks.

I worked in the office this morning (productive) and came home this afternoon (not)....hmmmm...I'm trying to write 6,000 words in three days and I am starting to panic! Eeeek.

S

You have my sympathies... at home or in the office... writing is really tough - every single chapter I've written took a bit of time just procrastinating and feeling dreadful for not actually got past that initial mental block. Keep persisting though. Once you start writing it gets easier - start with writing anything random about what you want to talk about - it helps just to get the ball rolling. it works with me. Though admittedly I spend a long time just trying to get the initial 'GAAAHHHHHHHH' stage. Good luck!

H

I agree with SeaBird. The difficult bit for me is forcing myself to start. Once I have, I can keep going.

Obviously people have their own methods of working but I will keep writing away and only reread and edit once I have finished a large chunk (like the whole chapter - also useful for writing the conclusion).

K

I am currently trying to persuade the boyf to turn our spare bedroom into a study for when I start writing up. What do you reckon are the essentials of a good working environment? I'm going to have to get rid of the bed cos otherwise the afternoon naps will be far too appealing!

L

I think it comes down to the individual, how you work best and your situation at home and in the office. I find for me that going in to work about 4 days with 1 day at home works best. Then I generally have a structure to my day (need to come in early for a lift) most days plus people to talk to and all the resources I need. Then one day a week I can have a bit of a sleep in plus watch a bit of TV during the etc. I couldn't do this everyday as I don't have internet access, printer etc but just have to plan what I'll do that day so I have the necessary stuff with me.

S

Hi Katq, I find you don't need that much for a working environment - it's more of a mental thing - accepting that this is your 'work zone'. However, given a choice... a nice large desk (that's why I spread out in the kitchen when nobody is around), and music for me - because I need music to keep me going most of the time... but we're all different. I find internet a distraction, so don't have it at home, but then I come into the office for emails/PhD forum/surfing for papers. Easy access to the kitchen for hot mugs of tea, and nibbles are always good too...

S

things you need to work at home:
a jug of water and a glass on your desk. chessplayers' experiences have shown that mental capability is significantly reduced if you don't drink enough.
similarly: something to help you make regular breaks - and something that helps you get back to work after the break.
make sure your boyf doesn't expect all the housework and cooking to be done when he gets home, just because you've been home all day.
if you want to do "nibbles", do consider nibbling "brain-food" instead of sugary stuff.
something that makes you start in the morning, and something that lets you stop without feeling bad about it in the evening.

K

I'm definitely thinking quite a big clock then so I can't pretend I've been reading for an hour when it's only been ten minutes!