How long do application processes last?

B

I have applied to the following unis in the UK - Oxford, Warwick, Lancaster and Nottingham - and was just wondering how long they take before offering or declining a conditional offer. I am still working on my M.Phil in Education and won't be finished before June 2009. What, in general, should I be aware of otherwise in practical terms (funding etc) and do I jump on the first offer? How much room is there for manoeuvre? Thanks in advance.

sorry if it's already obvious in your post but what are you applying for? Lectureship? PhD studentship?

B

Sorry for that. I am hoping to apply as a self-financing, overseas, Ph. d student 

from my experience (I had a few offers and a few declines when I applied for PhD but they were all for funded places), you'd hear from them within 2-3 weeks after interview. If there was an application deadline, and if you were shortlisted, you'd be invited for an interview within 2-3 weeks after the closing date. Some of my self-funded friends didn't have to sit any interviews, they were given places straight away, about a week or two after submitting application.

Good luck with your applications.

B

Greatly appreciated 404. I didnt know it would go that fast but suspect that now since one of them - Nottigham - seems to waste no time. They have sent an online reference to my supervisors within a couple of days of submitting the application. As you say, if they call me for an interview, and I am accepted, how much time do I have to accept or reject the offer? I am hoping to come into Oxford or Warwick but I guess I ought to be prudent and not be over ambitious eh?

No problem Bourdieu. I was given 1 month to accept/decline offers... but it must change from one institution to another. I hope you'll have offers to choose from.

T

When I got the offer for my current PhD, they asked me to give an answer in a few days, and to assure them that I had cancelled my other applications.