How long does it normally take to hear the result from the examiners after submitting corrections

S

Hello

I had viva in March and passed with 6-month corrections. I'd managed to finish the corrections within 2 months. (I am really not sure whether it is too early to submit it or not, but my supervisor said the corrections are not many and he approved that I could submit it). I just submitted the corrected thesis at the beginning of this month to the graduated school who will then forward it to the examiners. I don't know in my case if this corrected thesis will be marked by only the internal examiner or both internal and external examiners.

Do anyone know how long it normally takes to hear back from the examiners after submitting the corrections? I am very worried because I am an international student in UK and my scholarship will finish at the end of this month which means that I will not get any support for the accommodation after this month.

I

Hey Sunshine!
I'm in a similar position, passed viva with minor corrections. I submitted my corrections first time a month after, but my internal only replied to me about 5 months later, saying he wanted to see more!!! So I had to resend the thesis with the corrections (that was about 3 weeks ago), and he has yet to respond. My case is more of an extreme than the rule, but it could take them a few weeks to respond. Didn't they tell u in the viva who will check? I was told it would be only the internal. Anyways, I suggest you do what I will do. I agreed with my supervisor if he doesn't come back end of next week I'll send him an email, and if he still doesn't respond, then I'll contact the graduate studies office. I say in your case, wait another 2 weeks before sending such an email to both examiners.

D

Annoyingly enough there are no deadlines for the examiners to come back to you! That can be quite nerve recking.... The worst has passed so keep yourself busy with other stuff until then .

S

Thanks Incognito and Dr. Jeckyll for sharing your situations and comments. I just hope that I could get the result back as soon as possible because it would really be a problem for me to stay in UK without financial support from my sponsor.

I

You don't need to be physically in the UK; I'm currently teaching overseas. Once the examiner lets you know by email inform the University and discuss with them the bureaucratic procedures. This thing happens very often so don't feel pressured into staying in the UK until they respond.

P

mine took about 6 weeks to hear back (and it was just 'all approved') no further feedback.
I'm sure its quite variable and can depend on a number of things, a lot of staff are taking time off around now as formal teaching has finished so that may slow things down a little.
good luck!

S

Thanks and Incognito and Psychreseacher. Psychresearcher, you are very lucky that you didn't have to wait for a long time. And Incognito, I will check with the graduate school whether I can go back to my country during the time of waiting, if it is so, that will make me relieve from the financial problem. And I wish you a good luck for your result.