How long for paper re-review?

A

======= Date Modified 25 39 2009 16:39:52 =======

Hiya..

Last July I submitted a paper to an academic journal (soc. sci.), and after their board meeting in October it was sent out for review. By the beginning of February (thus about 3 months later) I received the comments of the reviewers and was asked to re-submit the paper with the implemented changes within 6 weeks.

I re-submitted the paper in the last week of February, but have been waiting for comments or a reaction to my revision ever since. (i.e. about three months).

Somehow I would have thought that the second round of reviews would proceed quicklier, or is this common practice (or perhaps they've found some major faults with the paper now which they didn't see before)?

How long have you waited for paper reviews and re-reviews?

A

Hello again..

so I decided to bump this question again, wondering if anyone would like to share experiences after all..

to summarize my question: how long did the second round of reviews (revised paper submitted to same journal after the first "revise-and-resubmit") take in your experience? In my case, the first round was relatively quick, about 3months, but now it's about 4 months since I sent them the revisions and no replies yet. I would have thought the second round is somewhat quicker?

S

Hi Apple, i'm in a different field (biology) so i don't know if this is relevant...

I re-reviewed a paper once (i.e. i was the reviewer first and second time round) and they expected the re-review to be submitted in 2 weeks. One thing to note is that these are not strict deadlines, they are more like SUGGESTIONS for when they would like the reviewers to submit their reviews. There is no consequence for it being handed in late - reviewers don;t get 'struck off' or anything, as far as i know...

The other thing to note is that each journal has an editorial policy. For example, the journal i was reviewing a paper for had a turn around time of 2 weeks for re-reviews. I'd recommend trying to find a copy of that policy for the particular journal you are working with and seeing what it says.

If all else fails, and if it's been over a month, drop them an email and ask! There must be some admin people at the journal who's job it is to deal with such enquiries - it's the reviwers that decide the fate of the paper, not the admin staff.