How long to wait for co-author comments?

P

I have circulated my draft paper to my co-authors and having given them over a month to come back with comments, the deadline has passed and I have not heard back from some. I have sent a few reminders, but how long is it reasonable to wait for comments? I really want to submit this paper asap, but obviously I also want all the co-authors to be happy with what's being submitted.
What are your experiences, any good tips on how to get people to respond? What to do if they dont?

R

Dear Poppy

this is very frustrating. Fortunately I have quick reviewers and am happy regarding this. In your case I would phone them and politely ask for the feedback. If they are happy with the paper then that is fine, if they still want to have a look at it, agree a dead line and phone again if you have not heard anything when that has passed.:-)

P

Thanks Rick. I will try phoning them and see whether that will work.

M

write one last email along the lines of .. "as i haven't heard back from you, i assume you are satisfied with the draft. i will submit the paper next week"

that gives them one last chance. it is ridiculous to come again and again to beg for comments - i have the same problem, now i just submit after a certain period of time, without sending numerous reminders.

R

Hi Poppy, monkey,

I see the point of view of monkey, however in my opinion it is important to keep your co-authors on board. Obviously depends a bit on their position in the organisation. If one of them is the professor I think it would be wise to have the "all clear" before sending the paper for submission. Afterall the name of your co-authers will be on it and as such, in my opinion, must be happy with it before it is sent!
:-)

P

Thanks for your replies. I have phoned and emailed the co-athors with some success, and one of the co-authors is indeed a prof, and he's very busy, so I have had problems getting in contact with him. As I want to publish more work with the same people in the future, I figured that it is indeed important to have them all on board now and not upset them, so I am going to wait until I get a response from them all. My strategy is to send a weekly email and phone intermittently, too, to keep the paper on top of their priority list?! I hope that'll work.
Anyone with responsive co-authors, count yourself lucky!