how long to wait for viva?

D

would be grateful for any advice-submitted 8 months ago and still no word of a viva date-tempted to withdraw from whole thing and munching valium to prevent a breakdown..any advice please?:-(

P

oh my goodness, 8 MONTHS?? poor you! Have you checked to see if your examiners are still alive... or at least not going through some major problems... Have you spoken to your research office to see what's going on?

B

What sort of answer are you looking for? What people think should be the case, or what was the case in their own viva? I waited 7 weeks. My university has a policy on viva waits and normally they are to be held within 6 weeks of submission, and at most 3 months. There was a slight delay in my case while the internal examiner was swapped around, hence it going slightly over 6 weeks.

Hope you get a viva date soon. I'd hate to have to wait as long as you have. Doesn't your university have a policy on this sort of thing?

C

8 months??? That's ridiculous!

have you asked your supervisor why it's taking so long? :-(

D

hi- thank you for responses- yes, the policy is meant to be 3 months...i have been ringing sup and research office-both are blaming each other..and as far as i know the external has been quite awkward over dates-but i just wondered if anyone else out there had waited this long-they are now saying maybe sept, which will be ten months after submission..ready to start dressing like a chicken in protest or something

C

I'm so sorry - that is insanity! Ful credit for you for remaining sane. I would have been camping outside the examiners offices rocking to-and -fro pleading for a viva!

B

If it was me I'd make a formal complaint. But maybe that's just me!

Hope you get good news soon. It's appalling that it was supposed to be 3 months but has gone on this long.