How long to wait?

W

Just a question those of you who are doing PhD's

How long did you wait between interview and being told you were unsucessfull/Sucessfull??

Cause had an interview on tue and was told I would definately know by the end of the week........doesnt look like that has happened....susspense is killing me!! Interview didnt go all that well got asked some difficult questions bout GCSE/Alevel grades!!

Would I look overkeen to call on mon am if havent heard anything?

Cheers!!

I had 2 offers at the time. For one of these it took ages, almost a month. But for the other one, I received the answer straight after the interview and the letter arrived within a few days. I guess it all depends on the workload of the academic and admin staff. I wouldn't worry about how it looks. It is your right to call and find out. But as you said, leave it to Monday. Good luck, I hope the result is positive.

T

WEll for the one i was offered i found out the following week that they wanted me, but then I had to go and visit the sponsors to check that they liked me.

For PhD's I didn't get some didn't bother to tell me at all (which i think is a common thing from what i can gather) Some have taken months, I went to one interview in February and only received a letter from them two weeks ago saying no. So like 404 says it varies from place to place. It can be such an agonising wait. Good luck

T

I had a variety of things happen with that.. some would email me back and say they were interviewing on a certain date and would contact me if I was shortlisted. Some supervisors asked me to come along for an unofficial interview following me emailing them. Others I recieved a 'Not selected for interview' letter..

So I suppose in my experience there are no set rules it all depends on the structure and organisation of the department.

W

From my experience with my Mres lamb its normally lack of organisation in most departments!

Sounds like its a common thing then!! I hope they do let me know very rude if they dont!
They were very prompt with interview date (application closed fri an was given a date for interviews on the tue!)
At least can use it as an excuse to have a few glasses of wine....purely for their sedative effects to help me sleep an stop worrying of course!!