How long to write thesis?

L

How long would you say you should plan to write your thesis at the end? I know it's a good idea to write as you go along and have a lit review and method and results section of one study written and should have some more by the time I get round to properly writing but just wondered how long you should plan to leave for it.

C

Always leave extra time.
A lecturer I know spent 6 weeks on it, I know someone who took 6 years.
I'm in my 4th year and still writing and started early in my 4th year. I could go on indefinately, I can always improve on it.
I would guess 6 months, but it depends how motivated you are, if you're working at the time, if you've analysed already for papers, how much of a perfectionist you are, how good you are at writing, and how quick your supervisor reads drafts.
I've heard it's not a good idea to work at the same time as write-up as some people don't finish.

U

It took me 4 months full-time including weekends, but I had most of the results pre-processed and had been writing bit 'n pieces since the beginning. At least a month of this was re-re-re-reading drafts and improving.

It sometimes helps to have a submission deadline, eg. running out of funding, to ensure you put the hours in.

This 4 months I found was very painful as it's almost entirely 'active' thinking. No watching TV allowed until it's done

R

Hi Missworry,

I think the reading and research proposal take a lot of (well spent)time, once you have done this and are into the actual research and have results things actually can go very quickly, it then mainly a matter of keeping going and discipline.

L

Thanks for that. 4 months of no TV sounds awful! I have trouble thinking if I don't have breaks! I suppose when you get near the end and the funding is running out the adrenaline kicks in and you get motivated to do it.

C

Maybe that's the problem, my partner is now supporting me and I have a nice house with a TV and Internet to distract me