How many hypotheses?

B

this might sound stupid but how many hypotheses should I have? I can list many but does that mean my topic isn't narrow enough?

S

I think it depends on how specific the hypotheses are (and therefore likely amount of work required to accept/reject each one). Generally speaking, your hypotheses need to be very explicit and very tangible so that you will get a clear result. I write this from the science camp, the soc sci members may have different opinions.

Suffice to say, if you have general hypotheses you asking for trouble insofar as there is likely to be one heck of alot of work. So try to break them down to the lowest possible scale and then you can decide how many you need to address your research question(s).

A

I agree with Sylvester

O

This is a hard question to answer, since if you think about it, there are an infinite number of equally valid hypotheses that can be generated in a given research situation.

S

Yes, very true. They do say that completing your PhD is all about finding the right place to bail out and write up what you have, rather than trying to explain life, the universe and everything.