How many publications did u have/ do you need?

J

I agree that it is highly unlikely. I therefore suspect the OP pulls the bull.

P

i wont be getting any before i submit i doubt because my results have been mainly negative even though i have masses and masses of data. no one has indicated to me i wont pass with no publications.

L

Sorry I didnt wanna boast or anything. It was just a question what other people think about this point raised by my advisor. Obviously I am lucky because I have a great supervisor, never could have done this on my own!

My field is Computer Science, and I cant wait to go back to industrie after the PhD. I assume there the publications dont count so much...

M

I'd say generally you're wasting your time publishing if you have no intention of pursuing an academic career. The only thing that may hold sway in industry is a ground-breaking published thesis - so maybe concentrate on getting a publisher for your thesis rather than doing papers.

G

I'm wondering why you're bothering with a PhD if you have an industrial career in mind.

P

'My field is Computer Science, and I cant wait to go back to industrie after the PhD. I assume there the publications dont count so much...'

So is mine - and I now work in industry.

Your PhD and publication count, 'count' for absolutely nothing and most IT employers really didn't care that I was doing a PhD, only that I had my BSc...

As for bothering to do one.. I suppose everyone has their own reasons, mine were most unsual and I don't regret it at all as I knew it wouldn't 'count' in industry...

I hope you appreciate it's probably going to be the same for you, Liverbird...

J

Loads of people get PhDs with no publications. In some cases, the sponsor does allow results/theses to be made public until 2 years have passed following completion; especially if the results have some commercial value.

J

Oops; menat to say "does NOT allow".