How much can a PhD graduate expect to earn?

R

Hello all,
Just have a question on my mind regarding how much can someone who's completed PhD in a STEM (Science, Tech, Engineering and Maths) subject expect to earn, if say, he/she has had no work experience whatsoever in the past? I am mainly aiming the question to the UK university PhD postgraduates, but overseas responses are welcome as well. Also, response from anyone who has had been in a similar sitation (i.e completed PhD but no work experience) would be awesome. Thanks a lot.

Rhea2011

S

It depends on your age. According to the JSA website, per week it's
Aged 16 - 24 £53.45
Aged 25 or over £67.50

There's also other benefits you can apply for too.

C

I agree with Slizor, if you're eligible, that is. I'm earning 0 at the moment :$

B

Surely the question is about employed earnings, not unemployment benefit levels?

D

BilboBaggins - I think you are right and that's what the OP wants to know. I did laugh though as I assume the others were using dark humour (or perhaps not) in terms of post doctorate opportunities (or lack of) in the present climate!!!

C

Yes, definitely dark humour :-)

It's not an easy question to answer. In my field (cell biology) you're looking at £24-30k for a postdoc. The industry jobs I've applied for have been around £17-20k. But of course it would be different for maths/engineering and other subjects.

D

Yeah it's quite ironic - highly educated yet unemployed or ever to be in current situation!  I wonder how long it can last for? What was the point in it all if we can't use what we learned?  Over qualified for other stuff! I came into it as I wanted to do research and saw that most jobs required a PhD so I got one but I soon realised that with one I am really no better off than before as a PhD is entry level so I've just moved up the academic ladder!  I've seen ads for postdocs where previous postdoc experience is desirable but how are you supposed to get it if you've just finished? I went to a postdoc interview before submission and all the other applicants all had done postdocs!  The skills that you worked so hard for are also dispensable as they can train someone else up in them!  

Sometimes you really do wonder if it's worth all your hard work and effort? I really hope it is as that is what I'd like to do but whether academia wants me is another question?  I'm hopeless at networking and interviews so never likely to land a job unless I get funding with someone I already know but that's very tough but still needs to be tried! I would love to know how I can make myself more competitive and sell myself?  I am not an overly confident person so have to keep reminding myself that I'm not that bad and I can do it though judging by my current applications the shortlisters would seem to think otherwise! Oh well we do because we love the subject and totally passionate about it but whether it'll provide a career is anyone's guess!!!
;-)