How much time off?

D

How much work do you all put in each week?

How much time do you take off?...

Basically i'm half way through my 1st year, have written my 1st chapter 20,000 words and now want a break! Is this wrong off me? Plus I usually take off a Friday to meet frineds and things! Is everyone going to wite back and sat how lazy I am and how wrong this is lol!

Thanks for the moan x:-)

D

I'm at the same stage as you but haven't done anywhere as much work but I'm not concerned. If I reach the end of first year with the literature review in place and just to be revised over the next two years and part of the methods section written I'll be happy. I definitely want a clear sense of direction by the end of year one at the very latest.

S

I worry about this all the time.

I try and treat it like a full time job, although if I'm honest I usually don't quite make it to 35 hours a week, more like 32-33. I take odd days, but not too many, just like you would with a regular full time job. I keep a vague track of these odd days and was aiming, with my summer holiday and the time I took over christmas, for 6-7 weeks in full. But due to unforseen circumstances (which my supervisor is aware of) it looks like it is going to end up being a little bit more than that.

Sounds like you are on track and you know where you're going with your work so I wouldn't worry about it.

P

I'm sure you're absolutely fine to take a break.
I'm having my first proper week off! I took some time off over Christmas, but that was more because I had the flu!!
You've written plenty, give yourself a pat on the back and have a little bit of rest (though, in the light of my post below, maybe you'll want to lock your computer away as I'm really struggling!!).
xxx