How often do PhD resubmissions fail ??

B

Very anxious awaiting after a few months now the outcome of a PhD resubmission.

People keep reassuring me that after all this it will not fail, and the examiners want to pass students - and that if the list of corrections is ticked then the PhD will be awarded.

But I keep having nightmares of receiving a letter and seeing in black and white the caption ''We are very sorry to inform you that .. ''

My supervisor says I should not consider failure as if it were the case then I would have been failed at the Viva.

But nothing is calming my nerves anymore - please share experiences if you have been through this! Much appreciated!! Thank you!!

P

Hi Beth, I read somewhere that the vast majority of people obtain their PhDs after a resubmission.

I read your post last night before I went to bed and ended up having nightmares about receiving the same sort of letter from my university! I think your supervisors are right, they could have failed you at the viva, but they saw merit enough in your work to award you with a PhD subject to meeting their corrections etc. Examiners want us to pass!

I have until August before I need to submit my thesis again, but I just wanted to wish you the best of luck.

M

If you have done what the examiners have asked you to do the chances of failing your PhD are extremely slim. Your supervisor is right by the way. I don't think that they would ever let you re-submit if they were not sure you would make it.

Z

======= Date Modified 13 Mar 2012 09:37:04 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============
*removed by mods - SPAM*