HOW OFTEN IN UNI

S

hi there i was wondering how long you guys spend in uni as in classes or lectures if yous go to any and did u have to take any research type modules, im sure some of you take some as extrea but out of curiousity whats the min you have to attend

B

I think our compulsory quote is 30 hours a year. There are compulsory research training modules you have to cover in the first year full-time, or couple of years part-time but these can be counted in the 30 hour quota. In reality, I probably have done 2 to 3 courses a year, mainly research training with some academic practices classes (writing, preparation for conferences, publication, upgrading, viva etc.) thrown in.

C

If you mean 'in uni' as taking taught courses - absolutely none! I am expected to be in uni between 9-5 each day unless on field work or conferences and other than that have no other commitments.
We can go to some basic one day courses at an associated uni on writing a thesis and presenting results but hardly anyone goes as they are very basic and aimed at foreign students (who also find them too basic!).

I dont know if this is normal as I am at a small university (in UK. I have at times resented the lack of training but have managed to get some training in different experimental skills by phoning up the experts at other organisations. I also sat in on some undergrad lectures which were in a subject peripheral to my PhD I needed to know about but there is certainly no requirement to do so.

like lecturing or demonstrating - some unis require it others dont have any option to do it (like mine).. I dont think there are any general rules..