How old were you when you started your PhD?

M

I'm 24, will be 25 in November. I've been temping - would have loved some science work, but virtually all jobs seem to be 2 year or longer contract,s and I want to start the PhD sooner than that! I'm mainly thinking this as all my friends seem to be getting their lives sorted (whether with PhDs, medicine, or other jobs), and I don't. As long as it gets sorted I don't mind too much though...

I agree with you kronkodile. I am happy that I have years of life and relevant work experience prior to my PhD.

C

I was 21, and I'm also still 21 (til May)

S

S

Hang in there. Where there's a will, there's a way.

H

S

S

Bah! your'e all making me feel old. I'm 24 in August but wont be starting my PhD 'till September/August

shanghaichica, majority of the people responded to this thread are older than you. We even have a 103 year old person. What more do you want

S

Yea your'e right. I guess I'm just hung up on it coz I wasted 2 years because I didnt really know what I wanted to do (spent 2 years doing a law degree before changing to biological sciences). However I think that it helped me to realise what I actually wanted to do.

K

I took two years out to travel after my undergrad before doing an Mres and now am 4 months into my PhD. It feels a lot more relaxed compared to my Mres I tells ya!

H

Yea I am agree with kronkodile, experience counts in many respect but in some technical fields that is not the case so more and more younger PhD candidate

H

i am 31 and will be 32 next month that does not really bother me anyway