How positive can it be?

P

Hello all,

as my name goes, I am an aspiring PhD student. I am still in the application stage. I have had some conversation (exchange of emails) with one of the profs in one uni and he seems to be okay with me. He did help me to do my proposal and also gave good comments after my draft; however he has not assured me of a place for PhD under him. All his mails are positively worded; however I am not sure if I can ask if I am guaranteed a place. Also I was wondering how far can this be positive to me. If I know something, I can work on my other applications?

Any suggestions, experiences to share and ideas ??

Thanks

H

I think it sounds like prof has taken a shine to you however many PhD applications require you to come up with a proposal before they accept you. The fact that he helped you is definately a positive thing but you still cannot assume an offer.

Maybe you email him asking when they will be letting you know the outcome of your application? I think thats quite subtle!

N

I'm in the same stage as you (applying...) but I think it would be against the rules of "etiquette" (and common sense...) to guarantee you a position before you send a formal application. First at all, maybe the person you corresponded with is pretty sure you will get admitted, but perhaps he's not the person who will take the final decision. Of course it's also not possible for them to know who will apply, and if there will be a candidate who is better qualified than you. Moreover I think it wouldn't be fair to other candidates. How would you feel if you were going to apply to XXXX and somebody told you he had been already offered a place long before the applications closing date?

P

thanks guys! i agree with u nimrod81.. probably i would feel awkward. I being an international student, am bit more worried than home students because my options are more limited...anyways have to wait and see