How should I change my ideas with colleges?

G

I am a fresh phd student. I am comfused about how should I talk about my ideas with colleges? I mean in early stage, if I told a college my idea about one project, there is the risk that, he may realise the idea and get a paper published. But I will not get the credit because I am a fresh phd and I am not so familiar with that field, so end up do not contribut too much to realise that idea. But still I got the idea!

So what do you guys do in this situation? If you get a idea in some field you are not very familiar with, will you talk about the idea with a more senior college in that field?

P

it's true. some ppl are kinda opportunistic. they might use the idea and publish it. happened to me twice.

that's why it's *really* important for u to find someone u can trust.

one way is to break down the idea into small parts which do not signal innovation at all.
u could inquire each part from different individuals and then assemble the findings.
this way, the original idea would only make sense to u and no one else iA.

T

Quote From pikirkool:

it's true. some ppl are kinda opportunistic. they might use the idea and publish it. happened to me twice.

that's why it's *really* important for u to find someone u can trust.

one way is to break down the idea into small parts which do not signal innovation at all.
u could inquire each part from different individuals and then assemble the findings.
this way, the original idea would only make sense to u and no one else iA.

You're scaring me pikirkool.

But, what happened?

P

======= Date Modified 17 Nov 2012 06:35:14 =======

nothing much dan.
u juz gotta be careful about sharing research technology that's marketable.

first ordeal?
a friend of mine was stuck with her research for quite some time.
so, i showed the algorithm i made, to help her regain hope.
the algorithm was meant as an impetus ie to demonstrate how the problem can be solved.
she published the algorithm and conveniently dismissed my name. LOL

second ordeal?
i shared a model i developed with a researcher just to get her 2nd opinion.
i'm quite a perfectionist. so, after showing it, i continued developing the model.
thinking that.. "oh, once i've perfected it, i'll publish it".
about one year later, i stumbled upon a paper with my EXACT model on it... with the researcher's name on it.
i confronted her and she replied with utter innocence "oh, i thought u didnt want the model" LOL

from my experience, this kinda thing usually happen for research areas that are very competitive, rapidly expanding and highly marketable.

example?
u constructed a new compression scheme that can speed up telecommunication by a 3 fold without sacrificing its quality.
u formulated a new chemical compound that can cure cancer at a remarkably low cost.

since then, i've been more careful about sharing any technologically related researches like the ones in engineering.

however, i do FREELY share my non-technological researches on psychology/sociology/education with others around me.

D

On the other hand, I am isolated in the department, as I am pretty much the only person that cares about my topic. I struggled with intellectual isolation during the first year because even my supervisor would find the details of my research tedious.

I was so happy to find other researchers in the same area that I couldn't stop discussing about my research. A friendly ear helps you develop.

T

Quote From DrJeckyll:

On the other hand, I am isolated in the department, as I am pretty much the only person that cares about my topic. I struggled with intellectual isolation during the first year because even my supervisor would find the details of my research tedious.

I was so happy to find other researchers in the same area that I couldn't stop discussing about my research. A friendly ear helps you develop.

I know right?

I would be more than happy to be your 'sidekick' if we were in the same research area, same group, same place and same time : /

I normally eat alone in some corner of the room without anyone to talk to lol. But I'm used to it by now : p

P

Quote From DrJeckyll:

i was once like u. i'd share every new thing i discover because everything's so exciting. sometimes though, the real world may not share the same conception of honour as we do. after getting *jabbed* a few times, i'm more careful i guess.

D

Too much paranoia and cynicism hinders academic development. The earlier on in the project you are, the more tight-lipped you should be, but once you've done most of the work, no one can "scoop" you.

G

thanks a lot. All answers are quiet useful.
So tips is in early stage I should keep it myself or cut it into parts. Only after I have done some work on it should I start to talk to someone else about it.

So the next question is: Is the advisor also one of "someone else"?

P

Quote From DocInsanity:

Too much paranoia and cynicism hinders academic development. The earlier on in the project you are, the more tight-lipped you should be, but once you've done most of the work, no one can "scoop" you.

LOL i think it's the other way around.

u should be more careful when the idea is matured and complete because those with resources can *scoop* it without much effort.

new ideas are flimsy and even if u do share it, people seldom know what to do with it. there would be too many missing pieces around.

"Too much paranoia and cynicism hinders academic development."

true. but how much is too much? how do we balance it? we are not speaking of paranoia or cynicism here. rather, of being *cautious* when the need arises. then again, im assuming that we're referring to the same definition of paranoia and cynicism as given by psychologists. :)

about 10 years ago, i discussed an idea with a postgrad from MIT. it was a very enlightening exchange but he was very secretive about his algorithm. at first, i thought it was just plain snobbery, but after experiencing things firsthand, i'm more appreciative of his cautiousness.

smart people learn from their mistakes.
brilliant people learn from others' mistakes.
not so smart people, they never learn.

D

Pikirkool,
well it depends on what you're being tight-lipped about, doesn't it? I can't quite see your point, given that bringing an idea to fruition takes a lot of work.

H

======= Date Modified 24 Nov 2012 08:40:57 =======
======= Date Modified 19 Nov 2012 11:51:02 =======
============= Edited by a Moderator =============

Quote From Gstar:

I am a fresh phd student. I am comfused about how should I talk about my ideas with colleges? I mean in early stage, if I told a college my idea about one project, there is the risk that, he may realise the idea and get a paper published. But I will not get the credit because I am a fresh phd and I am not so familiar with that field, so end up do not contribut too much to realise that idea. But still I got the idea!

So what do you guys do in this situation? If you get a idea in some field you are not very familiar with, will you talk about the idea with a more senior college in that field?

If you wanna get ahead with your ideas and contribute to the society then leave this fear behind. Take help from a trustworthy colleague and also discuss your plan with the senior teachers whom you can believe and know that they would help you.

-----------------
*link removed by postgrad forum team*