How to decide!

B

Hi guys
You really helped me out with my previous query with telling lecturers about my application, now I have another!
I have been offered the choice of two PhDs in a similar area: one in biofilm growth and one in biofilms and antibiotic resistance, with one with my supervisor and one with my second marker (for my undergrad degree). I don't know which one to decide! The first has an almost definite job at the end, but I just can't decide! I find them both very interesting, but I feel like I don't want to dissapoint my supervisor if I choose the other project. Help! Anyone been in a similar position? I have to decide today!

S

Very simple. It's not what your supervisor wants but whay you want - it is you who will have to do the work. Given the rollercoaster ride ahead, go with the one which interests you most.

M

i gotta backthese guys up, having started a phd previously and having to stop because it just wasnt right for me, i have to stress how important it is that you do the best thing for you. forget the idea of a job at the end. The phd itself will be like a job and if the job is relevant to one the the other project sounds v similar. you will be spending 3-4 years doing this so get it right from the start by doing the right project for you. apologies to make sound like doom and gloom but you will be better off looking out for yourself