how to do phd in USA

S

hello
I am living in USA with h4 visa since one year.Before that I lived in India.I came to USA in the middle of my Mtech project in Electrical engg. I am planning to complete my project this year and wanna do PHD in USA.
can u please tell me the process to do phd in USA.Should I need to take GRE and TOEFL? or can I get with my Mtech degree?
Please suggest me

Thank you
sowji

S

Hi Sowji, my better half was recently accepted for a PhD in the USA with a full scholarship. You definitely need to pass a GRE or TOEFL English proficiency exam with a good score (see specific university websites for their exact requirements). The basic process she went through was (1) identify uni's with academics who have similar research interests, contact them and ask if they or their department can fund a PhD (2) if the supervisor says they have funding, or may have funding later, they'll recommend you to apply to the university and pay the fee (approximately ~$100 per uni) -- you won't be accepted without GRE/TOEFL, (3) e-mail the supervisor and let him/her know that you've been admitted, (4) wait until the supervisor confirms if s/he can make you a funding offer.

S

Hi

Thank you very much for your information.I appreciate it.