how to get through the sleeeeepiness...!

K

How can it only be 10.30am and already I am sooooo sleeeeeepy - the temptation to go for a snooze is so hard to resist! Writing up is so teduous. Any tips?

short term solution: Fill your hands with cold water, bend down to the sink like you are washing your face and keep the water over your eyes for a few seconds. Repeat few times. Also, drink fruit juice.

long term solution: exercise

C

My doctor says exercise to keep energy levels up, although I've given up exercise and stuff my face full of snacks all day so I'm no example.
Can you start late and work late? I've found sometimes I have a terrible start and think, oh no I should have started, but if you work later then you've given it a good shot.
Are you leaving the house? I'm a bit zoned out and in my own world, partly from spending all day alone and not going out much. I'm determined to spend a monthish being antisocial and work really hard on it. Must leasve internet...

K

For some reason exercise doesnt seem to be helping, I get out everyday at least for a walk with the dog, but somehow as soon as I sit down in front of the thesis the sleepiness comes back! Think its psychological... I had the same thought as you cc and planned to spend a while holed up at home working earnestly, somehow think I might go mad if I do that though!! Looks like I'll be shoving my face in cold water every half hour till I finish...

It could be psychological and I can really relate to feeling sleepy all the time because of boredom. But you can really find a way around this problem. Exercise didn't help me in the beginning but after a while I realised that it was my fault, I was not eating well. Now exercise works. Do you have a window in your office? Lack of oxygen also causes sleepiness. Are you not sleeping well at night? Do you wake up earlier than you should and go back to sleep (o you live with someone that wakes up a couple of hours before you for example)? Because going back to sleep in the morning can make you feel tired later on. Or do you find yourself more productive later on in the day or at night time?

P

404 is right, it's all in the diet. I suffer terribley from a 3 o'clock slump and sometimes go and have a 20 min power nap - but a vitB tablet/miso soup / carrot juice or similar usually perks me up.

I sound a bit like Dr Gillian - the shame!

P

Also avoid sugar, esp at breakfast. The slump you're feeling might be a sugar induced one. Its powerful stuff.

F

I have found a regular pattern helps. If you can try to treat the PhD like a job, with work hours and breaks at the same times. This helps give a start and end to your day.

Try to study in a place where you cannot sleep, ie: not at home and not on the comfy couches in graduate student rooms.

I concur with the exercise and sugar comments.

Assess your diet. Alot of us PhD students do not eat that well. Try to get at least two good meals in during each day.

My wife experienced tiredness along with the early stages of depression. While this may not be an issue and not meant to scare, depression is not unknown to PhD students and something to look out for.

Hope that helps.

N

I also get veeeeeeery sleepy after I have lunch - usually it goes from 2 to 7 pm (when I usually leave the library and go home).

K

Thanks for all your replies everyone. I must pay more attention to my diet, sleep and exercise patterns... Will make a concerted effort from now on, I know it will help its just so hard sometimes to take care of myself when stressing about the PhD!

D

I took a long hard look at what I was doing and decided that if I were to complete this PhD I had to make changes I signed up for the Rosmary Conley classes as as well as a good diet you get an aerobic workout once a week. So now I am cutting out the sugar I am hoping to see more energy. I am also walking my dog for half an hour each lunchtime. Thgreat thing about the RC plan is the first two weeks you are allowed no alcohol so I feel as though I am detoxing as well!!! Probably won't lose any weight but its more about chnaging lifestyle for me...Good luck!!!!

C

Well kikat you need excercise that would cause your heart rate to increase- you won't get that from walking the dog. Try more active and involving excercises coupled with the advice from others in here. That might do the trick.

D

Cryo - hate to disagree but sustained walking is one of the best forms of exercise. As long as you don't amble round but walk purposefully it is fantastic as it has low impact on joints....also if you have a dappy labrador that you are having to rescue from ponds/hedges/dustbins etc you get to work out your upper body strength too

K

He might not be a labrador but he's definitely dappy, he's a bearded collie and wont let me walk at a leisurely pace cos he's got so much energy he wants to go a million miles an hour! also get to work my upper body when he's feeling naughty and wont get into the car

C

LOL. Cool, i guess you've got all the excercise you need then.