How to go about gaininig some research experince

M

Hello guys. I would really like to study towards a PhD and I understand that if I could gain some research experience this would greatly help me in achieving a studentship to study for the PhD

I was hoping for some advice on how to gain some research experience. I plan to study a masters in social policy in September and my undergraduate degree was in economics. I would really like to do a phd in social policy of some kind. Is there anybody out there that managed to achieve some research experience in this area. Apart from science related research I really cant think how to go about gaining some experience. I hope you guys out there can help.

H

A lot of the science reseearch councils fund short summer studentships - does the ESRC do anything similar?

Otherwise, how about looking at internships with organisations such as the IPPR or Joseph Rowntree Foundaton?

Failing that, approach lecturers whose reearch interests you and see if they could use a research assistant for a few weeks over the summer. Just be prepared for the fact that you may have to work unpaid.