how to handle different comments from supervisors?

S

when you get a really encouraging comments from one supervisor and the other slams it down, wht do you do? choose one comment over the other or just ignore them both and go with what you think is wrong and make amendments?

W

I have 2 supervisors who sometimes make conflicting points. We sometimes have meetings all 3 of us so we are on the same page. Recently I have asked for my supervisors to give me electronic feedback (in a Word file) which they send by e-mail and cc each other in so they know what the other one has said. Sometimes that creates a dialogue where one supervisor will say (I agreed with point X from supervisor A but not her second point because...etc) Otherwise I try to identify who (out of my supervisors) is more of an expert in each particular area, or I just go with what I think is best...you are the one that has to justify your work at the end of the day.

H

I agree WritingUp...I also got those scary "intention to submit" forms a few weeks ago and at the bottom it said "The decision to submit is made by the student alone" - SCARY or what!

W

Hillyg I have those forms too! It is scary...have you completed yours yet? I have been putting it off until I am certain about the final title and description of thesis...I know these things can be changed but it takes time and I don't want anything naff going to the examiners at this stage. I think the form should have been submitted months ago according to the university timescales! Hope it will be OK!

S

Thanks so much to everyone for their advise I have actually understood that its "your" thesis "you" defend it is an imp.point. I am going to make amendment as to who gave a fair and relevant comment about the particular point rather than choose one sup's comment completely and ignore the other. Then if anyone at the next stage make a go at it, i will make the justification why I didnt agree. But for now I am taking each comment and making sense of it.